Information about the 2.3 OTA update

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Here's a LOT of new information about the rollout, the process, and the content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f7t9Xp ... atteryLife

Worth 10 minutes of your time, if you're interested...

colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

Thanks
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Thanks Scott
Interesting. I hope it rolls out without issues.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Thanks Scott
Do you know what function the We Connect App plays in the process please?
Is it just to monitor progress? I don't have the app, or indeed a Smartphone to operate it on; does this mean I cannot have the update?
No sue if I get 4G on a regular basis, particularly at home!
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Thanks for posting that up Scott. 6GB for the second part. Phew - thats gonna stretch a few 4G connections :D
Deleted User 192

Deleted User 192

Raxacorico wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:40 am Thanks Scott
Do you know what function the We Connect App plays in the process please?
Is it just to monitor progress? I don't have the app, or indeed a Smartphone to operate it on; does this mean I cannot have the update?
No sue if I get 4G on a regular basis, particularly at home!

I don't know anything more than what's in the video.

He does state in the video that the car MUST be paired with the We Connect ID. app, so I think that answers your last question.

My car only gets 1 bar of 4G signal parked at home - ironically it gets a very strong Wifi connection, but the update process won't use it.
Deleted User 192

MotMot wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:22 am Thanks for posting that up Scott. 6GB for the second part. Phew - thats gonna stretch a few 4G connections :D

I know! My car only gets 1 bar of 4G signal parked at home - ironically it gets a very strong Wifi connection, but the update process won't use it.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

scott28tt wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:41 am
MotMot wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:22 am Thanks for posting that up Scott. 6GB for the second part. Phew - thats gonna stretch a few 4G connections :D

I know! My car only gets 1 bar of 4G signal parked at home - ironically it gets a very strong Wifi connection, but the update process won't use it.
That seems like an odd thing to do (not via WIFI) but I imagine its some sort of security issue (prevents/makes it harder for someone to see/interfere with whats going on...). Better than the Box of 4 DVD's I have on my shelf to update the satnav on my old Volvo. That took 8 hours!

Time to find a mast near a free supermarket charger! :)

Incidentally, now having a 5G phone, often the 5G speeds are the same as 4G (both with good signal) suggesting its the link between the masts/connection to main network rather than the G of it! Off topic rambling etc...
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

VW should go all the way. Allow you to download the update to a memory stick on a home PC and then plug into the USB port for updating.
I mean it is a computer at the end of the day .....
Also would be great for hacks :)
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Punchcards - I mean what could go wrong? 😂
id73

Post by id73 »

Why on earth do they restrict such large update data files to 4G, i mean what is the point of having WIFI on the car which can connect to your home network.
i have an intermittent 1 bar of 4g signal on the car where I live, i guess this means im going to have a difficult time time succesfully downloading the update.

Its also pretty backward to have all of this controlled via the cars controls.
VW need to take a cue from Tesla how to do this - you get a notification on your phone that an update is available and will take x mins to download and install, and can be done with car connected to your home wifi network.
You can either accept to run now, or schedule a convenient time overnight for it run. No hassle, none of this nonsense about accidentally cancelling the update if you unlock your car in the first two minutes.
mish

Post by mish »

id73 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:54 pm Why on earth do they restrict such large update data files to 4G, i mean what is the point of having WIFI on the car which can connect to your home network.
i have an intermittent 1 bar of 4g signal on the car where I live, i guess this means im going to have a difficult time time succesfully downloading the update.

Its also pretty backward to have all of this controlled via the cars controls.
VW need to take a cue from Tesla how to do this - you get a notification on your phone that an update is available and will take x mins to download and install, and can be done with car connected to your home wifi network.
You can either accept to run now, or schedule a convenient time overnight for it run. No hassle, none of this nonsense about accidentally cancelling the update if you unlock your car in the first two minutes.
They probably want to be in control of the whole process during the first few rollouts. It's easier to do if the user is not involved. They can abort and control the volume without anyone noticing what's going on. I imagine once they gained some more experience and confidence they will make this more user friendly and allow wifi updates that can be triggered by the user. 4G can handle that amount of data, just needs a couple of trips into town and driving in circles.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

scott28tt wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:07 am Here's a LOT of new information about the rollout, the process, and the content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f7t9Xp ... atteryLife

Worth 10 minutes of your time, if you're interested...
Many thanks for posting, Scott. very interesting indeed. I like the approach and sounds like they are taking scalability of rollout extremely seriously, which I'd expect.

I'm sure there will be a few features that they've not mentioned, just for excitement.
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

A little more on the update can be found in the attached link from Autocar. It mentions having to pay for some future updates, I assume payment will be for optional enhancements.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... d-3-update
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

"Badschik declined to specify particular upgrades that Volkswagen could charge for in the future but said that they could include extra range and charging times, custom screens and new light signatures."
Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

MotMot wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:36 am "Badschik declined to specify particular upgrades that Volkswagen could charge for in the future but said that they could include extra range and charging times, custom screens and new light signatures."
Difficult to see how you could get extra substantive range from say 58kw to 77kw as the battery is different I believe ? The mention of charging times seems to me suggesting making available higher kw input to say 150kw at public chargers.
Light signatures and customised screens, unless it’s out of this world my money will stay firmly in my pocket for everything mentioned so far.

I can however see it being very common however for certain vehicles to be upgraded via software to initiate dual control heating for example “Rent” or buy perhaps?

It is clear, lots of nice to haves also need hardware too, such as reversing cameras.

Maybe , just maybe there are hidden features in all vehicles that we just don’t know about, sat there waiting to be sold?
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

When I bought a life pro - I did wonder whether the extra 50hp for a pro performance was just a software change...
Wonder if it might be cheaper than the £1200 price difference ;)

Friend with a tesla something was showing how he could get an extra 100hp or something for £1500 via the app...

Increased charging speed is a good shout - only the long range tour gets a faster rate (125?) that I assumed was due to larger battery...
Deleted User 192

MotMot wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:03 pm the long range tour gets a faster rate (125?) that I assumed was due to larger battery...

Correct. I don't see 100 or 125 being a big "limiter" today, maybe in a few years time when rapid chargers at 150+ become more widespread.
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

Looks like ours has started update !

Wife is on way home from Bristol to Swindon and car will not go over 80 (I know you shouldn’t !!). But seems like a limiter of some sort and doubt she has pressed start update !

Will see what car says when she’s home!
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete