Lane assist

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Kabfab

Post by Kabfab »

With loads of road works and temporary/no lane markings where I live, Lane Assist is a nuisance. I can turn it off, but it re-selects every time I get back in the car. Is there a way of setting lane assist default to off that anyone knows about?

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

As has been discussed repeatedly No. it is a requirement for the Euro NCAP 5 star rating that it cannot be permanently switched off or disabled with a single press.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=867

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=751&hilit=lane+assist

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=243&p=4987&hilit=lane+assist#p4987
Kabfab

Post by Kabfab »

OK thanks
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

Before switching them off I suggest you ask yourself if you can defend it if you're unfortunately involved in a serious accident. Switching them off can't be done accidentally therefore it's an intentional act. I'm not a legal person but i imagine the prosecution having a field day exploring your reasoning and expertise in taking an action that puts others at risk.
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
Pullingteeth

Post by Pullingteeth »

In the horrendous downpour on the M25 this am I thought I aquaplaned … then realised it was the lane assist … phew ..
Very similar sensation for a second
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

robgarth wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:22 pm Before switching them off I suggest you ask yourself if you can defend it if you're unfortunately involved in a serious accident. Switching them off can't be done accidentally therefore it's an intentional act. I'm not a legal person but i imagine the prosecution having a field day exploring your reasoning and expertise in taking an action that puts others at risk.
If it was that strong a requirement to keep it on, you would not have the facility to turn it off. There would be no field day. It is not a legal requirement to keep lane assist on and you cannot be prosecuted for having done so.

To the OP: I agree that lane assist is a PITA. It is in place as a corrective measure to idiots who can't steer their car and keep it in lane, presumably because there are plenty of people steering with their knees while texting and also require the ACC sensors to be their eyes for the road ahead while texting. Lane assist is not a safety system to assist someone already paying attention to the road ahead.

For someone paying attention, it is more likely to cause an accident. I take a wide berth around parked cars as I drive past them, and lane assist twitches the steering wheel back towards the very obstacle I'm looking to avoid. Would it do that if passing a cyclist? When motorway lanes are temporarily narrowed with cones, the system doesn't see the cones and keep you between the new gap, it only sees the lines in the road and tries to put you in the middle of those.

For me, it causes more peril than it mitigates.

With OBD11 you can set the car so it remembers that you switched it off, but is just as easy to switch back on.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

I don’t really have much of a problem with lane assist when it’s on but I usually turn it off and can do it within a couple of seconds and hardly glance at the screen. And it only activates when over 30 so if you are in an urban area and under the speed limit then no problem.
My biggest concern is the ventilation controls having to go into a menu just to change the fan and other minor controls is a pain and in 4 years time when I change my car it’s still the same I will look elsewhere. The whole ventilation system is bad
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Agree re the ventilation system. Also the vents are partially blocked by the Infotainment screen (depending on your height), the controls behind the menu is somewhat bonkers, especially for air recirculation when you're behind that 30 year old diesel.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Technically both overtaking a parked car and passing a cyclist require you to indicate.. therefore Lane assist shouldn't be an issue.
There was confirmation recently that the system had or would be upgraded to take into account roadworks more correctly.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:15 am Technically both overtaking a parked car and passing a cyclist require you to indicate.. therefore Lane assist shouldn't be an issue.

Absolutely, this is an easy approach rather than supposedly having to wrestle with a steering wheel... Same when you lane change on a motorway or dual carriageway.
G43FAN wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:15 am There was confirmation recently that the system had or would be upgraded to take into account roadworks more correctly.

Literally the only time I've disabled Lane Assist in 11 months was along a stretch of roadworks with narrowed lanes on the M4, the system "saw" the original lane markers rather than the temporary ones.
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

At first I used to fight lane assist, but now I go with it and find it quite helpful

Some things I do:
1. Always signal when changing lane, this switches its lane warnings off temporarily
2. Less enthusiastic on fast cornering if impediments in road (e.g. road works)
3. Extra careful if road narrows alot
4. Hold wheel with both hands or very firmly with one, when going on motorways, and generally over 30

A few times i have drifted out of lane and its slight nudge to get back into the lane has actually been quite helpful

The car has slammed on emergency braking for me once. I reverse very fast onto my driveway, and I know when to stop a few inches from the garage door :) The car took offense to this and slammed on the brakes, so I go in slower now ....

I do often get the red "obstacle ahead warning" , but this is unavoidable sometimes in congested town driving

No doubt it will be improved with software updates, but I can say now its on balance a positive of the car
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

Agree with the comment on roadworks - the system can get confused.
I have found the 'push back' less intrusive than others. The Renault Megan the ID3 replaced was much more stronger.
The VW ID3 is not so different than other cars, but I agree some of those cars have an option to disable / activate the 'lane assist' mode. It however tends to be a pain, because tend to buried in a sub-menu.

However for general use - using the 'mirror SIGNAL manoeuvre' that is the base of the Highway Code, solves the problem.
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
Sephiro

Post by Sephiro »

The system can certainly get confused as in my short ownership it's already tried to steer me into a head on collision when a car on the opposite side of the road cut the corner in front of me so I turned in towards the kerb and lane assist then tried to push me back to where I was. Fortunately I had a good grip on the wheel so it failed, however if people are going to end up in court for switching it off then I'd imagine VW will be having a bad day in court when it causes a collision when the driver is trying to avoid one.
TimF

Post by TimF »

While the system may improve safety on some roads, on others it degrades it (IMO). To give just one example, some country roads near me are through woods where the soil is chalky. That means the banks at the side of the road are speckled with white. LA spots this and thinks its a gutter marking (LA detects that, NOT nearside kerb - it isn't that clever). So it tries to steer the car midway between the speckled part of the bank and the middle of the road, which can take the nearside wheels right to the edge of the gutter. I suspect something similar could happen where there's a lot of litter in a hedge. Or snowdrops?