ID3 Home Charging

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Rosiegloe

Post by Rosiegloe »

Hello
Does anyone know how to schedule the ID3 to overnight home charging? I can’t find any instructions in the manual on how to set a start charging time. I’m using a PodPoint Solo charger and want to take advantage of my Economy 7.
Regards, Rosiegloe

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

You can’t at the moment, neither the car or that charger supports timed charging - I have exactly the same setup.

VW and Pod Point have both told me directly they will be adding this to their respective apps, I suspect VW will get there first - hopefully as part of the Q1 software update.

I’ve switched my electricity supplier to Octopus, and to their Agile tariff specifically to give me below average rates for 21 hours a day so I can charge my car in the day while working at home.
Last edited by Deleted User 192 on Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rosiegloe

Post by Rosiegloe »

Thanks, Scott, that’s very helpful. Let’s hope it becomes available soon and as part of the forthcoming Q1 update as you have mentioned..
We’re having problems with our Pod-Point as it cuts off around 65-70% and we’re waiting for their maintenance engineer to visit.
Meanwhile we’re going to connect the yellow charge cable to our external 13amp supply on a timer for an overnight charge. We’re on Economy 7 with Octopus from 0030-0430 which would probably give us a 20% charge per night, probably enough for our local driving.
I don’t suppose you know about the We Charge card, do you know if we can only use it on Ionity public chargers or can we use it on others too?
Deleted User 192

Yellow charge cable? I guess you mean what most would call the “granny lead” with a 3-pin plug? I don’t have one as they’re not supplied as standard, sorry to hear about your Pod Point issue.

Sounds like you have Octopus Go with those off-peak timings, I switched to Agile to get cheaper rates in the day (outside of 4pm-7pm) - you can switch between Go and Agile once every 30 days if you want, so if it’s an option for you to charge in the day have a look at Agile til timed charging is possible.

There other partners for the We Charge card, the other nationwide one I’ve heard of is Osprey (they were called Engenie) - I haven’t tried it myself yet though.
Rosiegloe

Post by Rosiegloe »

Yes, the Granny Lead :-)) It came with the car, and also the black fast charge lead.

Brilliant re Osprey, it's my nearest charging point. The next nearest one to me is the PodPoint which I have used. It was very efficient and charged the car to 80% no probs.
Deleted User 192

Your dealer was feeling generous giving you a granny lead - they're £185 :-)

I did my first "test" public charge at one of the Tesco 7kW Pod Point chargers, I have a 50kW Osprey not too far away which I will be using to burn through some of the £500 credit
Rosiegloe

Post by Rosiegloe »

I thought the leads came as standard with the 1st Editions. It’s a Plus Pro Power 1-speed.
I need to explore the We Charge more before I use it as although I have the £500 on the card my dealer told me I can only use that at the Ionity charging points and the nearest one £30 miles away. I have my debit card uploaded on the card too and the We Charge plan I have says there’s an additional 0.25p to pay per charging session at other providers but I can’t determine whether the £500 will be deducted first before my debit card kicks in.
Also I have noted I can upgrade to an annual contract giving that service free but I haven’t found out how to do that on the app yet. My Charge card as it exists is 0.69p £kWh but with the upgrade its only £0.25p £kWh at Ionity chargers. Such a lot to learn about, I feel a trip to my dealer coming on!
Thanks for your help thus far Scott 👍
Deleted User 192

The thick lead with the Type 2 connectors is standard, but the "granny" lead is a £185 option on ALL ID.3 models.

Your dealer was wrong - you can definitely use the We Charge card at Osprey chargers (who confirmed this to me today).

You need to update the plan in the We Connect ID app to We Charge Plus - that is what activates the £500 credit and the 25p rates at Ionity - to do that in the app:

1. Go to the account/profile section (person icon at the bottom)
2. Open We Charge
3. Open Plan overview

Mine is already We Charge Plus but if yours is not you can "upgrade" it there - the 12-month subscription starts as soon as you upgrade, and I seem to remember you do this any time up til December 31st.
Rosiegloe

Post by Rosiegloe »

Brilliant, Scott
Mine’s the We Charge Free and I have found out how to upgrade now, thanks for the instructions.
So if I wait until the end of November before I upgrade does that mean I can use my current card now and then the balance left will be taken over to the new card?
Deleted User 192

What do you mean by "current card"?

I only have 1 card, the blue/red one I was given when I collected the car - it shows in the app with that colouring too.

Upgrading the plan doesn't mean you get a new card.
Rosiegloe

Post by Rosiegloe »

Thanks,Scott
I’ve been to the Osprey charger and the We Charge card didn't work!
The car is now on the slow 13 amp charge at home to get it up to 80% as it was down to 25% and the PodPoint Home charger is still not working.
Back to the dealer tomorrow re the VW Charge Card methinks! 🤨
NorwichComputersAndy

Post by NorwichComputersAndy »

I have had the Ohme charger installed - comes with a 4G sim which allows you to communicate with it with no subscription etc. This allows me using their app to set a schedule to only charge between 11pm and 4am using the OctopusEnergy go 5p per KWH - makes for super cheep charging!

Have to say the Ohme app is a bit clunky vs pod point for example however once the schedules set up I haven’t had the need to use it as it looks after itself and the car!
Deleted User 192

Go is 00:30-04:30 cheap rate, unless you have Go Faster?

I switched to Agile as it gives me more freedom to charge the car in the day, plus the overnight rates are often lower than the Go rate.
SteveGC

Post by SteveGC »

Hi has anyone had their We Charge rejected. I have yet to take advantage of the £500 credit. You should be able to use it at any charge point the app identifies with green dot. I spoke to the help for one of those charges who confirmed they accepted we charge cards but others had reported problems. I contacted VW support who said they would escalate my complaint and get back to me by email. I am still waiting.
talaipwros

Post by talaipwros »

SteveGC wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:01 pm Hi has anyone had their We Charge rejected. I have yet to take advantage of the £500 credit. You should be able to use it at any charge point the app identifies with green dot. I spoke to the help for one of those charges who confirmed they accepted we charge cards but others had reported problems. I contacted VW support who said they would escalate my complaint and get back to me by email. I am still waiting.
the real question to ask I guess is " can we return the card please and get some money instead? "
Rosiegloe

Post by Rosiegloe »

That’s a great idea! Anyone willing to hVe a go?
Deleted User 192

talaipwros wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:20 pm the real question to ask I guess is " can we return the card please and get some money instead? "

I have a strong expectation the answer would be a big fat NO - I shall be trying my best to use as much of the credit as I can 😊
Rosiegloe

Post by Rosiegloe »

Good luck with that! I guess you’ll struggle to use it up!
Deleted User 192

I have an Osprey 50kW not far away, so can switch to charging there instead of at home if I get myself organised - really need the COVID restrictions to be loosened for more days out and road trips!
Rosiegloe

Post by Rosiegloe »

Have you managed to use the We Charge at the Osprey? Mine didn’t work.