Pod Point Slow Charging

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
bpreston

Post by bpreston »

Hi,

I have very recently received my ID.3 and have just connected it up for its first charge on my Pod Point Solo (untethered edition). I have a single phase installation with the 7kW charger and 40A breaker fitted.

I am experiencing very slow charging speeds - as low as 9mph and a charging time of 11 hours to go from 25% to 80%. I was expecting this to be much quicker (5-6 hours maximum). I've looked through many pages and forums on this topic and the feedback seems to be mixed.

I have checked the 'slow charging' option on the We Connect ID.3 app is off, there are no schedules on either the ID.3 or the Pod Point, and I have also tried stopping and starting, unplugging and re-plugging the 32A charging cable and starting the charge from inside the car and the app, and still the same charging speed. The only option I can see left is the internal DIP switches in the charge point itself which I am contacting Pod Point about.

Does anyone have any other suggestions I could try or any hidden menus/options I may not have tried?

Many thanks!

Idmania3

Post by Idmania3 »

Sounds like you may be using the in car timer instead of the Pod Point timer.
I had yhis issue. Tyr charging without any timers set and you should get 27-30 mph charge.
You could also check k that you actually have a Pod Point Solo 7 and not the Solo 3.
Pod Point are very slow to respond to emails, you would be better off phoning them.
VW id3 1st Edition Moonstone Grey
Octopus referral. www.share.octopus.energy/harsh-hippo-272
bpreston

Post by bpreston »

Hi Idmania3,

I've checked the timer settings in the car and the Pod Point app. No timers are set and I've even deleted my home as a charging location and added again and still no luck - 6 hrs 30 mins left to go from 45% to 80%. Very slow
Idmania3

Post by Idmania3 »

bpreston wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:39 pm Hi Idmania3,

I've checked the timer settings in the car and the Pod Point app. No timers are set and I've even deleted my home as a charging location and added again and still no luck - 6 hrs 30 mins left to go from 45% to 80%. Very slow
Sounds likeyou may have a faulty charger.
Hope Pod Point respond quickly.
Idmania3

Post by Idmania3 »

Idmania3 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:45 pm
bpreston wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:39 pm Hi Idmania3,

Sounds likeyou may have a faulty charger.
Hope Pod Point respond quickly.
Just another thought, The Pod Point charger will reduce the charge to ease the load on the grid if usage is high.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

There is a dip switch setting inside a Pod Point which makes it charge at a low or high rate, it may be that your installer didn’t set it correctly.

Contact the installer or Pod Point.
bpreston

Post by bpreston »

Pod Point have detected an incorrect setting which is probably the DIP switches.

Interesting thing I found out - they can actually override many of the DIP switch settings remotely including the charging rate.

Hoping to get this sorted tomorrow. Thanks for the help!
Chappers

Post by Chappers »

Hi,
I too own VW ID 3 , the Tour model with 77Kw battery .
I bought the car in June 2023 as an ex Vw car 2yrs old and am really pleased with it .
Recently we changed our Electricity Tariff to enable reduced cost during the night but then found after enabling the Pod Point schedule it only charged at 4kw whereas daytime was the normal 7Kw .
Went through the normal procedures with Pod point , ie no vehicle schedule set etc , they blamed Vw saying it was software issue but yet it does same on my wife’s Mini EV 🤔.
After many many trial issues ie getting up at midnight , plugging it in and hey presto 7kw , sending photos of cables etc I eventually disabled pod point schedule and set the car to preferred timings . Plugged it in at 9.20 pm and at midnight it picked up my settings and charged at 7 kw.
Conclusion :- The pod point schedule does not work unless you are prepared for a super slow rate of 4kw
It’s not vw’s problem because it’s the same with Mini
Down to you Pod point to sort your software out !!!
fin

Post by fin »

I have a 2021 Tour and a Pod Point charger and I get the full 7Kw without an issue. It's worked OK for me whilst with EDF when I had v 2,3 and v2.4 software using the Pod Point scheduled times. Now I'm on v3.2 software and Octopus Energy so I use Intelligent Octopus and still get 7Kw.
Chappers

Post by Chappers »

That’s weird because we’ve tried everything , I don’t know what software update I’m on but it was only done about a month ago . We are with Eon Next Drive . There seems to be so many variables as to why it might not work but I’m just happy we’ve found a working solution .I really think the Tour is the sweet spot in the range with bigger battery and better range .