Cornering Light Message Fault

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
TimF

Post by TimF »

quenelles84 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:38 am Final Update: For anyone that is reading with a similar issue in future! I picked up yesterday and it seems like replacing the sound generator has fixed the issue. Obviously time will tell, but so far so good!
Thanks for the tip. Does anyone know how the sound generator can wreak such havoc? Since this seems to be (now) a known issue as far as VW is concerned, there ought to be a fix available in software, to allow the car to function in all respects other than sounds until the faulty module is replaced?

Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

TimF wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:32 pm
Thanks for the tip. Does anyone know how the sound generator can wreak such havoc? Since this seems to be (now) a known issue as far as VW is concerned, there ought to be a fix available in software, to allow the car to function in all respects other than sounds until the faulty module is replaced?
Because BEVs are almost silent during low speed operation it is a mandatory requirement to have a sound generator - so that nearby pedestrians etc are made aware of the presence of a moving vehicle. Therefore I suspect it would be unlawful to drive with the sound generator disabled.
TimF

Post by TimF »

Gwyver wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:30 am
TimF wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:32 pm
Because BEVs are almost silent during low speed operation it is a mandatory requirement to have a sound generator - so that nearby pedestrians etc are made aware of the presence of a moving vehicle. Therefore I suspect it would be unlawful to drive with the sound generator disabled.
It's not actually illegal to disable the sound generator! Which the RNIB aren't happy about.
<https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... ove-safety>
<https://www.rnib.org.uk/news/new-electr ... milestone/>

Of course, there's quite a difference between temporarily disabling the noise "if judged necessary" and driving the car with a non-functional sound generator.

The regulation doesn't apply to a vehicle first registered before 1 July 2021.

Typical regulatory muddle?
slewthy

Post by slewthy »

Same issue here.
Lights permanently on.
Whooping sound that is driving us mad.
No front indicators or cornering lights according to dash warnings and lots of warning lights and messages.
First occurred 2 weeks ago, went away for a few days and now non stop for 5 days.
Local VW dealers have a 1 month wait for a diagnostics appointment!! Refuse to listen to reports from online forums.
Therefore, roadside assistance on the way today to see if they can help.
Presumably, the car is not drivable without front indicators? That way they with have to take it in for diagnostics within 72hrs?
Fingers crossed......
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

Needs a new pedestrian sounder module, pretty common fault. We had ours done last year, quick and easy job, it's behind the front grill.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
solarman

Post by solarman »

Interesting to see how my original comment on the dynamic cornering lights has generated so much correspondence over the last two years. My Id3 gradually got worse, showing all the symptoms described by others. But only finally packed up earlier this year. However after a 4 week wait it has now been in the dealership for 4 weeks awaiting the sound generator unit to be sent from Germany. A bill for £ 700.00 awaits including £100.00 for diagnostics! As if that is needed after all the problems others on this forum have experienced. No courtesy car for me though, as my car is out of warranty and unless you pay £386.00 pa for the extended warranty you get nothing except bills. Seems like quite good value now.
Such is life...
ChrisT

Post by ChrisT »

Hi
What software version are you running? My advice would be to ensure you are running 3.2 as many of the earlier issues have been ironed out. Also it will throw up any battery/drive issues. I had to go through a bit of pain getting my pro performance sorted, all completed by the dealer under warranty but it’s great now, fab car
solarman

Post by solarman »

Not sure what the software situation is now. I was told it was 2 updates behind even though it had been in for a service late last year. They told me then it would take too long to do (2 days) so they couldn't fit it in at that point. Maybe that's what finally set the sound generator into meltdown? It might be worth checking that out.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

solarman wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:15 pm Not sure what the software situation is now. I was told it was 2 updates behind even though it had been in for a service late last year. They told me then it would take too long to do (2 days) so they couldn't fit it in at that point. Maybe that's what finally set the sound generator into meltdown? It might be worth checking that out.
Most people whose sound generator has failed have been told it's due to water ingress. It commonly causes headlight and indicator light problems as they are on the same circuit. However a cornering light warning with no other symptoms as initially reported by the OP could easily be something else.

If you are out of warranty I would be a little cautious about the update, make sure you can get a courtesy car while recalls are performed as if the new software detects a problem with the battery you will be without the car for a while. If there is no courtesy car for recall work once out of warranty (I don't know) then personally I would not upgrade to 3.2, albeit it might reduce the value of the car slightly when you come to sell. If you have an OBD reader you could get an idea whether any battery cells are likely to need replacement by looking at the bar chart of cell voltages in carscanner - basically are there any individual cells that have voltages significantly lower than those around them (looking across a range of SoCs).
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
slewthy

Post by slewthy »

So I'm 1 month on and still no sign of the replacement module that is on back order.
At least I have a courtesy car - petrol Golf. I hate it. It has 6 speeds but it doesnt help.

The only slight comfort is that it must be costing VW a fortune with Enterprise car hire.
slewthy

Post by slewthy »

Just got it back today. nearly 5 weeks a record?
They didn't even charge it.