Cornering Light Message Fault

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

It's not the 2.4 OTA update as I had that in September.

Car is being trailered to local dealer tomorrow. Currently in the garage with the headlights on. It can either have all the sidelights on or just the headlights. Will disconnect 12V battery shortly. AA came out and did some diagnostics and promptly booked it in to the dealers.

When the ignition is on the sound module makes whooping noises and there are constant lighting errors.

EcoWarrior

Post by EcoWarrior »

...I had exactly the same problem last Friday, however, mine also included no front indicators. Called VW Assist. The AA chap came out - he could not fix it, so it was sent to the local VW dealer. They arranged a hire car Toyota Prius! (quite simply one of the worst cars i have driven). Local VW changed the audio module (luckily they had one in stock - they are currently on 3 weeks back order) and also updated the software to V3.0

All is currently back to the peak of normal.
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

I currently have a Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid as a replacement. Can’t believe how bad it is. ID3 still at dealers, hoping for an update on fix today
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

EcoWarrior wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:44 pm Local VW changed the audio module (luckily they had one in stock - they are currently on 3 weeks back order) and also updated the software to V3.0

All is currently back to the peak of normal.
Exactly my issue as local dealer is now waiting for VW to supply the "Engine Sound Module" which is on back order with no ETA.
thefordprefect

Post by thefordprefect »

this seems to be a generic problem. Ours was booked in for service but before this it suddenly did odd "things" as listed to the service dept.:
3. Rear light cluster passenger side Plastic under bit fallen off
4. Misting in both head lights 8th Nov 2022 photos below
5. Faulty key fob – manual key not retained
6. Keep getting “NO FRONT ASSIST WARNING”
7. Error message received “ERROR DYNAMIC CORNERING LIGHT” continuously, every minute(?).
8. Then occasional very fast indicator flash (twice speed?)
9. No auto dip on headlights and when auto selected headlights would flash randomly on/off occasionally.
10. On entering car there was a possible very, very short display of “LOOSE CONNECTION” on the infotainment screen – message disappeared before fully read.
11. Some time later various errors occurred:
a. “PLEASE CHECK LEFT [OR RIGHT] TURN SIGNAL” – but what do you do then???!
b. “FAULT VEHICLE LIGHTING”
THE ABOVE FAULTS ARE ALL INTERMITTENT. THE LAST TWO 15 MILE JOURNEYS HAVE SHOWN 1 or 2 ERRORS.
The vehicle was serviced and we went to pick it up to find it in the car lot with the headlights on and the car making quit squeeing noises (rising tone then falling tones) was told it was because the cleaners had recently passed it with the key. Okayed this so went out to take home but it was still forlornly crying with lights on. They told us to keep the loan vehicle until it was fixed - they said it was sound unit and faulty cable form. Seems to be fixed after ~4 days. Were not told what was done and forgot to ask!

manual key not retained because of a ridiculous poorly retained spring - beware if changing the battery!. Misting - we were told it was not bad enough to replace but to go back if it got worse!!!!

id3 pro with matrix headlights 2021
shabbyroad

Post by shabbyroad »

This is truly bizarre. Here and on Facebook I've read of the same sequence of symptoms all being resolved by replacing the sound unit.
My dealer didn't want to have my ID3 in their workshop for 3 weeks due to that part being on back order so they took one of another ID3 in the showroom.

While there they updated to 2.3 and did the battery change.
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

Could be a bad batch of sound modules or a generic design issue.
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

10 days and still waiting for the sound module. VW just extended the hire car for another 2 weeks so it’s not looking good.
ekto

Post by ekto »

I too got this earlier this week. But I don't think the issue is purely on the sound module, it could also just be with the connection to it. I was able to find some wiring diagrams and both headlights and the sound unit shares this one 17-pin cable, T17p. This has the pins for power and also for CAN. It has a 4-pin connection to the sound module (T4bj) and 14-pin connections to both lights.

Here's a picture of the diagram:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsh3mxsqds4rd ... 2.png?dl=0

In my case, I got all the symptoms with the dynamic corner lights, full beam did not work, and I got that test sound from the sound unit. But I've been driving the car since I get to go to the dealer on Friday. During this time, the normal EV-sound has come back, indicators started working, headlights turn of when parked etc. And all these started while driving on slushy road. And these have come back slowly, bit by bit, day by day.

So my bet is that water/slush gets to the sound generator contol unit (J943) connection and then messes up that part of the CAN-bus, pulling it high or low. And when it dries up, the CAN-Bus starts to work again. The control unit and the Sound Generator (RX21) sit pretty low inside the bumper.

Here's a picture of that:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3toasigabiwi ... 3.png?dl=0
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

Thanks for that info Ekto, still waiting here 17 days later and no sign of a replacement. I can see the dealer has been moving my car in and out of the workshop, so mine hasn’t dried out and recovered. Personally I think it is appalling that VW do not keep stock of parts for new cars. Porsche still sell parts for 30+ year old 911’s.
ekto

Post by ekto »

I’m now at the dealer. When I explained the symptoms again, the service representative immediately said he knows what is happening. He told that the sound generator is pulling the network down and he has seen this before.

They will now disconnect the J943, should take about one hour. Then they will give the car back. This should let me continue using the car, only missing the sound. They ordered a new J943, and once it arrives, they will install it. He didn’t speculate how long the wait is.

So if you have these symptoms, just ask them to remove the unit until replacement is available. This way you can keep driving.

P.S. I’m in Finland, so things might work differently here.
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

Got my car back yesterday after 23 days. Apparently they had to take a sound module off of the production line.
Stargazer

Post by Stargazer »

Exactly the same problems on my ID3 - dynamic cornering light error message, front indicator error message, sound generator error message, front indicators not working, headlight wouldn't switch off. When I took it into the garage I gave them a printout of some of the above postings, especially those relating to the sound generator control unit. They replaced that and it seems to have fixed everything. Thanks to all for the information.
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

We have had this on numerous occasions, together with the indicator and brake light warnings on alm occasions there was nothing actually wrong and a turn off, lock and restart cleared fault

Currently have a front passenger side window not working and awaiting workshop visit!
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
quenelles84

Post by quenelles84 »

Hello,
I had an incident recently experiencing exactly the issues outlined in this forum (lighting fault, cornering light, indicators going super fast, engine sound generator dies, but get a weird wooping noise instead).

Took to dealership quoting this forum and that saying I thought it might be the sound module, but they said 3.2 would fix it. So (after a bit of back/forth) managed to get an appointment and had car updated, for a week it worked absolutely fine, but sadly today I've had the same issue.

One thing I seem to notice about all the times I've had the issue is that it was raining on the day the car goes bananas. Just wondered if anyone else sees that correlation?
Twisted enigma

Post by Twisted enigma »

Test test
iD3 max
Manganese with bike rack prep added October 22
Ordered 12th August 21
Motability customer
Order number ********

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
TimF

Post by TimF »

quenelles84 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:17 pm ... One thing I seem to notice about all the times I've had the issue is that it was raining on the day the car goes bananas. Just wondered if anyone else sees that correlation?
When I briefly had the cornering light report, it was dry. However, my intermittent keyless-lessness issue (can't unlock without pressing button on fob) is much more likely to occur when the car is wet.

In my experience, quoting forum threads doesn't help with VW service personnel.
quenelles84

Post by quenelles84 »

Have got my appointment with dealer day after tomorrow, but as of today things have got even worse and the headlights now won't turn off at all.
Had to turn the car to face the house so that I'm not disturbing the neighbours as nothing I do seems to stop the headlights from blaring out.
:-(
quenelles84

Post by quenelles84 »

UPDATE: Car went into the garage today and unsurprisingly they have now decided the issue is the sound generator. Luckily they seem to think they get a part to replace tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be back and up and running then.

Also with reference to previous post the car headlights did eventually switch off (at about 5am in the morning for reasons unknown).
quenelles84

Post by quenelles84 »

Final Update: For anyone that is reading with a similar issue in future! I picked up yesterday and it seems like replacing the sound generator has fixed the issue. Obviously time will tell, but so far so good!