Scheduled Charging

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Didn't realise you are using Octops Intelligent - the control system is all through Octopus for that. You should be turning off all otyer scheduling in both the car and the charger, and scheduling it via the Octopus app. That's almost certainly the problem rather than anything to do with the car.
As a general rule you don't want more than one thing to be "smart" at the same time as they are liable to conflict.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.

Sdotk

Post by Sdotk »

I only just switched to intelligent a few days ago so completely slipped my mind that it could be causing a problem. Therefore my Zoe and MG4 experiences weren’t like for like.

Now that I’ve turned everything off other than the charger schedule it seems to have worked. I woke up to a fully charged car.

Would it be ok to stick with this or do you think everything but the octopus scheduling should be off instead?
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Sdotk wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:00 am I only just switched to intelligent a few days ago so completely slipped my mind that it could be causing a problem. Therefore my Zoe and MG4 experiences weren’t like for like.

Now that I’ve turned everything off other than the charger schedule it seems to have worked. I woke up to a fully charged car.

Would it be ok to stick with this or do you think everything but the octopus scheduling should be off instead?
Out of interest, have you integrated your charger or the car with Octopus Intelligent?
Sdotk

Post by Sdotk »

Scratch wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:11 am
Sdotk wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:00 am I only just switched to intelligent a few days ago so completely slipped my mind that it could be causing a problem. Therefore my Zoe and MG4 experiences weren’t like for like.

Out of interest, have you integrated your charger or the car with Octopus Intelligent?
If I understand the question correctly, the answer is the car. Both the Zoe and MG4 weren’t compatible with intelligent at the time I had them/when I checked. The charger has always been fine.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Sdotk wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:13 am

If I understand the question correctly, the answer is the car. Both the Zoe and MG4 weren’t compatible with intelligent at the time I had them/when I checked. The charger has always been fine.
The reason I asked, is that I am having horrendous issues with getting my car to charge at all at home, let alone with Octopus Intelligent. I originally had the car integrated but when that failed a couple of times, I tried my Zappi Charger but that also failed. It’s a long story, but I tried to charge again last night (not with Octopus Intelligent) by setting the timers in the car. Lo and behold - it worked. I am more confused than ever now, maybe even to the point of changing the car (and maybe the charger) to something that does work. Tesla?
Sdotk

Post by Sdotk »

Scratch wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:21 am
The reason I asked, is that I am having horrendous issues with getting my car to charge at all at home, let alone with Octopus Intelligent. I originally had the car integrated but when that failed a couple of times, I tried my Zappi Charger but that also failed. It’s a long story, but I tried to charge again last night (not with Octopus Intelligent) by setting the timers in the car. Lo and behold - it worked. I am more confused than ever now, maybe even to the point of changing the car (and maybe the charger) to something that does work. Tesla?
Well I turned off the car and octopus schedule last night and using the charger settings, finally charged beyond 15-17%. I’m pretty sure the problem lies with having multiple parties having an input to the charging process as mentioned above.

I am tempted to stick with this set up now as I know it works (seems to work for you too) rather than mess around with making octopus intelligent again. When my charge is low enough, say in the 50-60% range I’ll report back. In theory I should easily be able to get up to 100% in the standard 6 hour window.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Sdotk wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:49 am
Scratch wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:21 am

Well I turned off the car and octopus schedule last night and using the charger settings, finally charged beyond 15-17%. I’m pretty sure the problem lies with having multiple parties having an input to the charging process as mentioned above.

I am tempted to stick with this set up now as I know it works (seems to work for you too) rather than mess around with making octopus intelligent again. When my charge is low enough, say in the 50-60% range I’ll report back. In theory I should easily be able to get up to 100% in the standard 6 hour window.
I know about turning off any charge settings in the car and the charger, in order to use Intelligent Octopus.
I might be wrong, but I think in order to get the Intelligent Octopus 7.5p cheaper rate, there may be something in their terms and conditions about having to use their schedules.
Sdotk

Post by Sdotk »

Ah that’s a good point. I hadn’t thought of that, will look into it now.

Edit - yep, seems you’re right. If there are no active authorisations for more than 30 days you’ll be switched back to a normal tariff.

Back to square one then! Will have to try intelligent with everything else switched off and see if that works. Worst case I’ll just switch back to non intelligent.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

If you can't make OI work, you could always charge normally day to day and just remember to charge using an Octopus schedule once per month. If you do that on a day you don't desperately need 100% the next morning it won't matter so much of it doesn't charge as it should.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

Since 3.2 the car charging has been faultless with OI. Just set your charger to dumb mode and don't set anything in the car. It has been faultless since September when I had the software update done.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

steviebabes wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:13 pm Since 3.2 the car charging has been faultless with OI. Just set your charger to dumb mode and don't set anything in the car. It has been faultless since September when I had the software update done.
So was mine - until my Zappi was replaced with a new one, which now instigates an “up to 10 minute delay” when first plugging the car in. I still maintain that it is this delay requirement which is causing my issues.
Sdotk

Post by Sdotk »

sidehaas wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:42 pm If you can't make OI work, you could always charge normally day to day and just remember to charge using an Octopus schedule once per month. If you do that on a day you don't desperately need 100% the next morning it won't matter so much of it doesn't charge as it should.
I’ll give intelligent a go with everything else off as you suggested previously, if it does as it should I’ll leave it alone. If not, I’ll do as you suggest above. Thank you for the tips and advice.
Sdotk

Post by Sdotk »

Intelligent didn’t work… not a single kW overnight despite it mapping out the charge pattern on the app. Car and charger set to immediate/do nothing, all very frustrating!

Back to dumb mode for octopus and a charger schedule.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Sdotk wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:03 am Intelligent didn’t work… not a single kW overnight despite it mapping out the charge pattern on the app. Car and charger set to immediate/do nothing, all very frustrating!

I get the distinct impression that you are experiencing the same issue as I am, although my charger is a Zappi 2.1 - brand new.
My VW dealer charged my ID3 on both their ac and dc chargers, but still said to book it in. They also said that they are seeing “all sorts” of charging issues across many brands of home chargers.
I have been going round in circles between the charger company, VW and Octopus. They are all being very helpful (as much as they can be) but no solution. Until proven otherwise, I still believe that it is this mandatory random 10 minute charge delay which is scuppering me. Others have said “ just plug it in and IOG will do the rest”. Well, yes, but when I plug the car in, if the random delay is longer rather than shorter, the red charging port light comes on. Even if Octopus produce a schedule, which they have done, it looks as if the car has decided not to accept any charge, so when the schedule kicks in, nothing happens.
Sdotk

Post by Sdotk »

Scratch wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:31 am
Sdotk wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:03 am Intelligent didn’t work… not a single kW overnight despite it mapping out the charge pattern on the app. Car and charger set to immediate/do nothing, all very frustrating!

I get the distinct impression that you are experiencing the same issue as I am, although my charger is a Zappi 2.1 - brand new.
My VW dealer charged my ID3 on both their ac and dc chargers, but still said to book it in. They also said that they are seeing “all sorts” of charging issues across many brands of home chargers.
I have been going round in circles between the charger company, VW and Octopus. They are all being very helpful (as much as they can be) but no solution. Until proven otherwise, I still believe that it is this mandatory random 10 minute charge delay which is scuppering me. Others have said “ just plug it in and IOG will do the rest”. Well, yes, but when I plug the car in, if the random delay is longer rather than shorter, the red charging port light comes on. Even if Octopus produce a schedule, which they have done, it looks as if the car has decided not to accept any charge, so when the schedule kicks in, nothing happens.
Yep our situations sound very similar. I get the red light quite quickly, I say a minute or so after plugging in? Having said that, the other night when I turned everything off except the charger schedule it still worked as it should despite the red light. Hence why I’ll be going back to that charging method from tonight.

All very frustrating as it shouldn’t be this difficult but at least I know there is a solution of sorts (for me at least). I’ve set a calendar reminder every 25 days to do an octopus smart charge, if it works or not is a different matter!
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

I think the problem must be with the latest chargers incorporating this 'up to 10 minutes delay' feature. What is the reason for this delay? My charger is an old dumb QUBEV installed a few years ago before the smart charger rules came in.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

steviebabes wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:28 pm I think the problem must be with the latest chargers incorporating this 'up to 10 minutes delay' feature. What is the reason for this delay? My charger is an old dumb QUBEV installed a few years ago before the smart charger rules came in.
I believe the powers that be are trying to stop, or control, when people plug in, or a charge is started by TOU tariffs. So that there isn’t a massive spike on the grid. Just a guess. It seems very unlikely though. There will come a time, I suppose, when there will be no such thing as a cheap overnight rate due to low demand, when the majority of drivers have converted to an EV.
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

Scratch wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:37 pm
steviebabes wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:28 pm I think the problem must be with the latest chargers incorporating this 'up to 10 minutes delay' feature. What is the reason for this delay? My charger is an old dumb QUBEV installed a few years ago before the smart charger rules came in.
I believe the powers that be are trying to stop, or control, when people plug in, or a charge is started by TOU tariffs. So that there isn’t a massive spike on the grid. Just a guess. It seems very unlikely though. There will come a time, I suppose, when there will be no such thing as a cheap overnight rate due to low demand, when the majority of drivers have converted to an EV.
Yes that makes sense I suppose but more to stop charging at exact times such as the Octopus Go 12.30 - 4.30 window. It would be better if the charger started straight away at a low wattage then ramped up to full within the first 10 minutes. As it is now the car will see it as a failed charge if it doesn't start within a few seconds of being triggered by Octopus.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

steviebabes wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:02 pm
Scratch wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:37 pm
Yes that makes sense I suppose but more to stop charging at exact times such as the Octopus Go 12.30 - 4.30 window. It would be better if the charger started straight away at a low wattage then ramped up to full within the first 10 minutes. As it is now the car will see it as a failed charge if it doesn't start within a few seconds of being triggered by Octopus.
Spot on. Someone posted somewhere that the Ohme EVSE had been designed/modified to achieve exactly that.
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

I have noticed that often the half hour slots on IO are not consecutive so even if the car starts charging at the specified time it's quite likely to fail after half an hour. This maybe why some people are only getting a few kWh's overnight.