ID3 servicing.......... simply explained

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Up the jumper

Post by Up the jumper »

My car was registered on 4/3/22. I just got an email from the dealer inviting me to book the first service. I replied that was trying it on, verging on deciet. They can wait a year, and I won't use Marshalls........
Id3 Family Pro 58kwh, moonstone ordered 23/7/21 Picked up 4/3/22
Gloucestershire.

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Up the jumper wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:55 pm My car was registered on 4/3/22. I just got an email from the dealer inviting me to book the first service. I replied that was trying it on, verging on deciet. They can wait a year, and I won't use Marshalls........
We got the same from Johnsons in January. I just rang them up and told them it was two years. They didn't argue - I got the impression that the one year email was something they sent out to every new car buyer regardless of what car it is.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

Hi folks

Having seen mixed reports about the availability of the £199 service plan, I asked about options when I dropped my car off for some warranty investigations today (a long list!). Was initially told that they didn't think there was a service plan for the ID3, but they looked it up, and the only option there was the £199 plan. No wrangling required. Took it out at (I think) £8.29 a month for 24 months. For a service, MOT and brake fluid change, this feels like the sort of price VW should be charging by default.

This was at Inchcape in Macclesfield.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

TheJimster wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:07 pm Hi folks

Having seen mixed reports about the availability of the £199 service plan, I asked about options when I dropped my car off for some warranty investigations today (a long list!). Was initially told that they didn't think there was a service plan for the ID3, but they looked it up, and the only option there was the £199 plan. No wrangling required. Took it out at (I think) £8.29 a month for 24 months. For a service, MOT and brake fluid change, this feels like the sort of price VW should be charging by default.

Not available on my ID3! £338.10 if I want a service plan. Why do some people get the £199 plan and some don't?
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Scratch wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:40 am
TheJimster wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:07 pm Hi folks

Not available on my ID3! £338.10 if I want a service plan. Why do some people get the £199 plan and some don't?
It started when people were getting 2.4 done, it was implied it was a sort of compensation, that was certainly when I was offered it but what you actually get seems to have been uunclear initially.
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

Did you ask your dealer or just look it up online? It's always 338 online, you must get sent an offer link.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

mediaguy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:06 am
Did you ask your dealer or just look it up online? It's always 338 online, you must get sent an offer link.
No I haven't asked the dealer. Although, I did get an email making me the offer many months ago. At that time my ID3 had some significant issues which were in the process of being diagnosed, and I wasn't prepared to give more money to VW if they couldn't fix them. By the time they were fixed, I phoned the dealer about the offer and they palmed me off with a link to the VW website, whereby the offer didn't exist any longer for my reg. And sill doesn't.
I am rapidly going off of VW, so much so, that I have been test driving other marques. Shame really, as the car drives OK now.
Chris R

Post by Chris R »

I posted this in late January and thought it’s worth repeating. There are alternatives to being held to ransom by VW, they have shown no empathy for many iD3 owners and in some cases dealerships too, they are not your friends, all they are interested in is taking your hard earned money:-

VW call centre contacted me to book my 1st Edition in for its 2 year service, quoted £288. I asked for a cost breakdown for the work to be done, when he said changing the cabin filter was £84 I told him to forget it!

Changed the pollen filter myself, 30 seconds and £14 for the filter. Checked with my local regular independent garage, yes, all his technicians are fully trained to work on EVs and they have the software for the service. Quoted me £54 inc VAT, the only consumable being brake fluid.

Service completed successfully but despite their best efforts they were unable to reset the ‘service due’ message which pops up every time the car is switched on, the link for the reset is ‘greyed out’ in the software. The local VW dealership told me they are not allowed to reset it, even if the service had been carried out by another dealership.

Anyone out there know how to do the reset, it’s not really a problem for us but how will we know when the next service is due?

Update; Apparently VW want around £80 for a single use code number to enable their software to reset the service schedule, grrrr!
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Surely that EU consumer law that allowed non-franchised dealerships to perform services using original parts without any warranty implications should cover this to allow ther garages reasonable access to reset service lights etc. We still abide by most of these EU laws despite Brexit. That charge to reset the service light seems coercive towards in-house servicing. Definitely no other way - OBD11 etc?

Just had a quick look on the OBD11 site. Seems there is a way:-

Screenshot_20230307-193733_Chrome.jpg

Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Chris R

Post by Chris R »

Hi Monkeyhanger,

Thanks for your detailed reply, I shared this with my Indi. He was aware that OBD11 and similar packages may have possible solutions. Problem is that newer vehicles with online systems which are connected to the manufacturer can throw up issues if unlicensed interventions are detected. He wouldn’t volunteer to be first in the queue to try it and nor will I, don’t want my car ‘bricked’.

He is confident that as the online systems mature and become the norm, issues such as service resets will be addressed in software updates. So I think I will live with a warning flashing up on the screen for a few seconds every time I switch the car on for now. Just have to keep an eye on my mileage for the next scheduled service. I think I will play safe and put a sticker on the dash to remind me of the mileage.
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

Scratch wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:30 pm
No I haven't asked the dealer. Although, I did get an email making me the offer many months ago. At that time my ID3 had some significant issues which were in the process of being diagnosed, and I wasn't prepared to give more money to VW if they couldn't fix them. By the time they were fixed, I phoned the dealer about the offer and they palmed me off with a link to the VW website, whereby the offer didn't exist any longer for my reg. And sill doesn't.
I am rapidly going off of VW, so much so, that I have been test driving other marques. Shame really, as the car drives OK now.
I agree this is all a bit nonsensical. To me, 200 notes is a perfectly fair price for the work included in the plan, but I can't understand why it's not being offered universally.

Inchcape had done my 2.4 update, but the £199 service plan was not mentioned at the time. When I took it out, there was no suggestion that it was a limited offer, it was just the only service plan their system showed for the ID3.

I just looked online to see what got offered for my car, but the reg check just flagged that a service plan was already in place.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

TheJimster wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:11 pm
Scratch wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:30 pm

I agree this is all a bit nonsensical. To me, 200 notes is a perfectly fair price for the work included in the plan, but I can't understand why it's not being offered universally.

Inchcape had done my 2.4 update, but the £199 service plan was not mentioned at the time. When I took it out, there was no suggestion that it was a limited offer, it was just the only service plan their system showed for the ID3.

I just looked online to see what got offered for my car, but the reg check just flagged that a service plan was already in place.
Weird, no consistency. Inchcape (Wirral) did my 2.4 update and offered the deal when I collected it back in September.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I couldn’t get the £199 plan online, so I did as someone here suggested, and went into the dealer. Voila! They got me the plan. Why it has to be this way, I have no idea.
I realise they do bugger all, but it keeps the service record sweet. And it’s transferable, should I decide to sell it.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Scratch wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:33 pm I couldn’t get the £199 plan online, so I did as someone here suggested, and went into the dealer. Voila! They got me the plan. Why it has to be this way, I have no idea.
I realise they do bugger all, but it keeps the service record sweet. And it’s transferable, should I decide to sell it.
Good News.. but as you say, the fact you have to go that far is sokmewhat puzzling. I must book mine in.
pmcg

Post by pmcg »

Been offered a £25 month plan from Plan Leasing that covers tyre wear, damage, servicing etc.

At first i thought this was a good deal but not sure now.
30k miles over 3 years so likely need a couple of service/inspections and at least a set of tyres, maybe more.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

It’s quite possible you’ll get only 10k miles off a set of tyres (do you have Bridgestones?) in which case that’s 2-3 lots of £500…
pmcg

Post by pmcg »

MotMot wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:07 am It’s quite possible you’ll get only 10k miles off a set of tyres (do you have Bridgestones?) in which case that’s 2-3 lots of £500…
Thanks, no car yet, due next month.
The £25 is plus vat so actually £30, total £1,080.
Take off maybe £300 for the 2 year check, £500 for a set of tyres at least and an extra £280 for the peace of mind sounds ok.
TwyRob

Post by TwyRob »

MotMot wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:07 am It’s quite possible you’ll get only 10k miles off a set of tyres (do you have Bridgestones?) in which case that’s 2-3 lots of £500…
I you don't take out the plan then you aren't stuck with Bridgestone though.
Max Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise
Ordered 26/10/21
Delivered 21st April 2023
Goode

Post by Goode »

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

We bought our ID.3 1st Edition in March 2023. It was new in November 2020 and had 11,800 miles on the clock.

I had the car serviced by Cleevely EV, a mobile HEVRA approved service operating in England, Wales and Scotland. Having a properly qualified independent service your car will not invalidate your warranty in the UK.

We're having Michelin Cross Climate 2 tyres fitted today along with a full wheel alignment. The latter will reveal any chassis warranty issues before the 3 year warranty expires in 11 days time. We took the car to a VW approved independent because they offered a good deal but they too do the heavy sell crap. Firstly they tried to sell me a service and MoT in spite of the car having had an MoT on 1st March before we bought it so it not being due for more than 3 months. They then tried to compel me to have the brake fluid replaced as that is 3 years old. Neither of these items need doing but VW have this "2 years" thing. My first job in the 1980's was as an apprentice mechanic and we could test brake fluid but generally would recommend replacing every 5 years. It does very very slowly gather a small amount of water content over time but will be fine unless you drive like a loon or there is damage and thus a small leak to your system allowing water in but not necessarily letting brake fluid out.

Also, the software is still on v2.4. VW has given up on updates OTA so you have to book with a main agent. They too tried to sell me the MoT and brake fluid change but also a full service. When I declined they moved my software upgrade date out a month. Classy.

I have a healthy mistrust of the dealer and approved independent garage trade. It's all about emptying your wallet in my opinion.

I will be sticking with Cleevely for my servicing.

VW are appalling at customer service but I guess they don't feel the need to improve. This however is my first VW and although the car is excellent I will not hesitate to buy something that I like next time even if it's not a VW.