Incorrect range reported in the App.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Newfie wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:51 am I chased this up 2 weeks ago with VW Customer Services with a complaint about this as it was months ago we got an answer back from them stating they are aware of the problem and are working on a fix.
I got the same response this time around.
There are no words that can define the software team behind all this.
"There are no words that can define the software team behind all this.” Oh yes there are!

giavoline

Post by giavoline »

weconnect-cli also seems to have found a problem with "milage"

There was a bug report in July 2022 -
When the EV is driving or charging the range is both kM and Miles is correctly reported.
Sometimes, then the car is parked up, the range is incorrectly reported in both kM and Miles
It turns out the errors is a factor of 0.62, it seems coincidental this is the conversion factor for miles to km.
(This has the effect that the kM attribute actually shows the number of miles range).
So, it seems to me something upsteams has an error in its range conversion.

The last comment in November 2022-
I reported the incorrect range issue to VW in July. After supplying sufficient evidence the error was thier end, they now claim to have fixed this issue.
Thus closing the report here.

It seems that VW still have this problem with the weconnect service, and it is probably nothing to do with the software revision of the car.
I have 3.2 and see the same issue.
Iansjh

Post by Iansjh »

Just been updated to 3.2 and now have the same issue, incorrect mileage showing on the app. Oh and the drive train error has just popped up (1 week after update). So back to the dealer☹️ (who to be fair seem to have been expecting this and have booked me in straight away and provided free courtesy car without me having to ask)
generationgav

Post by generationgav »

I reported it to VW, at one point they suggested that I factory reset my phone....despite me giving them clear information on the issue.

I have a Home Assistant widget on my home screen showing me the battery, range and lock status. It's quicker and more accurate.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

My car had the 3.2 update a couple of weeks ago and I updated the Weconnect ID App to the 'new' Volkswagen one last weekend on my android phone.

A few days later the car was showing 203 miles, the web WeConnect ID/My Volkswagen site was showing 203kilometres, and the app was showing 127 miles. Well done VW! Outstanding work!

I emailed weconnect-support@volkswagen.de and they replied two days later that I needed to change the Units/Distance setting in the App from 'Automatic' to 'Miles'. I have done this now and it does seem to have corrected the range in the App. The web site stills show KM, but at least is the correct number of KM for the actual miles. I can't see anywhere on the web site to change the units setting but I rarely use the site so not too bothered about this.

I have replied to them and asked what the purpose of the 'Automatic' setting is - if I get a reply I will update here.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Good knowledge Sherlock. I have just made the same change, will look out for if the error still occurs.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

sidehaas wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:41 pm Good knowledge Sherlock. I have just made the same change, will look out for if the error still occurs.
Sadly I have to report that the App has tonight reverted to showing the range as 124 miles instead of the 200 miles in the car, despite the Units/Distance being set to miles.

I haven't changed anything at my end since it was showing the correct figure earlier today. I will see what is says in the morning and send another message to VW support if required.

In the meantime they have replied to my query on what the 'Automatic' setting does with the following unhelpful response:
'The Automatic setting corresponds to metric units for your Volkswagen ID.3.'
fatman

Post by fatman »

vw are soooooooooo funy
Max PRO Moonstone Grey August 2021. Software v3.2 [dealership]
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Sherlock wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:40 pm
sidehaas wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:41 pm Good knowledge Sherlock. I have just made the same change, will look out for if the error still occurs.
Sadly I have to report that the App has tonight reverted to showing the range as 124 miles instead of the 200 miles in the car, despite the Units/Distance being set to miles.

I haven't changed anything at my end since it was showing the correct figure earlier today. I will see what is says in the morning and send another message to VW support if required.

In the meantime they have replied to my query on what the 'Automatic' setting does with the following unhelpful response:
The App was still showing the wrong range this morning, and the web site was showing the correct number but kilometres instead of miles. So I fired off another email to VW Support. They have come back this afternoon asking for screenshots, browser and app versions and on and on...

However just now I checked again and the App is showing the correct range in miles, and the web site is showing the kilometres equivalent. I would rather the web site was in miles than KM, but I hardly ever look at it so if the App continues to show the correct range I will just accept that and move on. Fingers crossed this is the end of the problem.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Sherlock wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:56 pm
Sherlock wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:40 pm

This debacle has been ongoing for as long as I can remember. The IOS app has been updated twice this week and it’s still broken.

The App was still showing the wrong range this morning, and the web site was showing the correct number but kilometres instead of miles. So I fired off another email to VW Support. They have come back this afternoon asking for screenshots, browser and app versions and on and on...

However just now I checked again and the App is showing the correct range in miles, and the web site is showing the kilometres equivalent. I would rather the web site was in miles than KM, but I hardly ever look at it so if the App continues to show the correct range I will just accept that and move on. Fingers crossed this is the end of the problem.
This has been ongoing for what seems forever. The IOS app has been updated twice this week and that issue is still broken.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

It started around the time that cars started being delivered with 3.0. My car (app) never had the issue for the first 6-12 months. It's of no importance anyway, the GOM prediction is useless you are midway through a journey so looking at it in the app is never actually helpful...but having had the same basic error in place so long appears incompetent.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

sidehaas wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:51 pm It started around the time that cars started being delivered with 3.0. My car (app) never had the issue for the first 6-12 months. It's of no importance anyway, the GOM prediction is useless you are midway through a journey so looking at it in the app is never actually helpful...but having had the same basic error in place so long appears incompetent.
Incompetence is the main takeaway from this. I believe that it’s common knowledge for those who may be looking at going EV, that the VW software has been problematic, to say the least.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

So (if anyone is still interested), overnight the App has reverted to showing the wrong range in the App - 124 miles instead of 200 miles, and the web site is showing 200 km.

I am not using the car much this week, but I did sit in it briefly yesterday to double check the range in the car, and I have opened and closed the boot a couple of times too.

I am starting think that if you use the car this triggers something that updates the range correctly, but if you are not using the car some process (perhaps an overnight one) updates the range in the App and web site incorrectly.

If I have the time I may gather all the info. VW support requested and send to them . It's not a big issue but it should be fixed really, and it really shouldn't be difficult for them to do.
Turquoise

Post by Turquoise »

I thought this was just it defaulting to a pessimistic predicting of range, but having read this it does seem to be an incorrect conversion. Mine has been like this from new, delivered with 3.1.

Edit: I've also noticed that the car will sometimes show as being unlocked in the app but a quick look at the wingmirrors shows it's still locked.

Screenshot_20230708-174930.png

Family PP (Turquoise with East Derry alloys)
Ordered Oct '21 (Tusker/Marshall Fleet)
Built '22 wk33, delivered wk41

Zappi 7kW Black tethered
4.5kWp solar with 7.5kWh battery

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/sunny-sun-45
generationgav

Post by generationgav »

I had a detailed update from VW today.
Here's the interesting parts;

"After a detailed analysis, please be informed that we are aware of the issue you are experiencing and we are currently working on a solution."

"The first around would be the following steps:
Close the Volkswagen App.
Go to the vehicle.
Open the door and turn the ignition on.
Open the Volkswagen App and manually update the vehicle status.

The second workaround would be the following steps:
Close the Volkswagen App.
Wait for 20 minutes.
Open the Volkswagen App and manually update the vehicle status."

"As soon as the technical solution is available, it will be carried out at your local Volkswagen workshop. We will contact them directly and advise them to inform you as soon as the solution is available, so an appointment can be arranged."

The API when queried reports the correct range back at all times. The range is reported back in KM (not miles) and then it's up to the application to convert this to miles. Unless the app isn't using the same API, which I don't understand why as everything is in there, I absolutely 100% don't see this being a vehicle or software issue, but instead just an issue on the app.
I'm honestly considering writing a new VW app using the API, it wouldn't have any additional features, but would look nicer, update quicker and have Android Wear support...
traper

Post by traper »

It seems to me this is 100% an app/conversion issue.
It also seems reasonable to assume the impact is(from VW's perspective) only affecting a small number of users representing the tiny segment of the market compared to the rest of Europe who don't care and haven't heard of 'miles'.
If the ID.3 is sold in the US I bet the software/app is a completely different one.
At the end of the day it's not that important, but it is very very irritating that VW don't seem to be able to employ an IT contractor capable of writing a robust pairing solution between car/app.
retrobod

Post by retrobod »

Yes I find this intensly annoying and you're right it seems to take the miles from the vehicle and convert like it was KM's so 194miles in car showed 121 miles in app. Such an easy fix methinks!!
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I hope I’m not being premature with this, but I think they may have fixed it, for me anyway. I charged the car last night and this morning it’s showing miles not kilometres. Mind you, the odometer reading in the app is still wrong. It seems to be stuck on the same figure for weeks now. Can’t have everything I suppose!
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Scratch wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:32 pm I hope I’m not being premature with this, but I think they may have fixed it, for me anyway. I charged the car last night and this morning it’s showing miles not kilometres. Mind you, the odometer reading in the app is still wrong. It seems to be stuck on the same figure for weeks now. Can’t have everything I suppose!
Scrub that. Its gone back to kilometres again.
Tsneal

Post by Tsneal »

Just finished a charging session on Solar Power (Zappi) Car is still connected, but sunshine is below 1.4kW:
  • The App showed the end of the Charge as 76% and 193 mi range.
    As I looked at it, it suddenly changed (in the App) to 76% and 120 mi.
    Tried Manual synchronisation with the Vehicle in the App - no change...
    So walk out to the car {now}.... BRB....
    Open car with key, display shows 76% and 193. Re lock car.
    Recheck App and, miraculously, App now shows 76% and 193 mi again. :o
And as the comment says 193 km is 119.9246 miles or 120 miles in integer format.

It strongly looks like there is a "miles to kilometre" gremlin in the App, or the data stream between the car and the App....

And this App random "divide by 1.609344" has been randomly there in the 17 months since I bought my ID3. :?

Love the car, much better with ID Software 3.2, and only just found Odometer reading (in the App) on the Vehicle Status page.