Front windscreen fan + heating

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Wback

Post by Wback »

I'm sure this has been covered, but my searches can't seem to fathom it:

When you push the windscreen fan button, the heating goes on ("lo" in my case).

When you push the button to turn the fan off, the heating stays on, which means I then scramble to turn the heating off on the touchscreen.

Surely there's a way to stop this happening, so the fan just does the fan, then when you push the button the heating goes back off?

Any suggestions?
----
ID3.Life 55kw, plain grey. Delivered Aug 2022

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

It's Climate control, set the temp and let the car deal with it.
If the windscreen is getting fogged up, press the max demist button on the panel then turn it off again when it clears.

There really isn't any further intervention needed.
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

Except that when you switch off at the max demist button on the panel, it doesn't switch off everything it has switched on and you have to go into clima to do that fully. I spend far too much time doing that and it can only get worse through the winter as the range decreases anyway.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Sheps wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:46 am Except that when you switch off at the max demist button on the panel, it doesn't switch off everything it has switched on and you have to go into clima to do that fully. I spend far too much time doing that and it can only get worse through the winter as the range decreases anyway.
It turns off Max demist and returns to managing whatever temperature you have set. Perhaps a slide lever would suit better for Cold and Hot, then the car could run the heater permenantly and you could decide to pass the heat into the car or dump it to the environment like in an ICE?
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:57 am
Sheps wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:46 am Except that when you switch off at the max demist button on the panel, it doesn't switch off everything it has switched on and you have to go into clima to do that fully. I spend far too much time doing that and it can only get worse through the winter as the range decreases anyway.
It turns off Max demist and returns to managing whatever temperature you have set. Perhaps a slide lever would suit better for Cold and Hot, then the car could run the heater permenantly and you could decide to pass the heat into the car or dump it to the environment like in an ICE?
Not so with mine which has been mostly switched off throughout the summer. Now that demisting is needed in the early morning chill, I'm finding the problem as described above. Fan and A/C left on when I've switche off at the panel.
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

Which is all making me wonder whether mine is working properly...
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Sheps wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:35 am Which is all making me wonder whether mine is working properly...
It is working properly. Fan and A/C stay on to manage the temperature you have set after turning off demist, as per G43FAN's post.
If you want to keep HVAC off for most of the time but to occasionally demist, you need to turn it back off manually.
Tbh I think it makes more sense to keep HVAC on the whole time for longer journeys. Especially if you dislike using the controls. Once it's at the right temperature it doesn't use a huge amount of energy. Effect on range is small unless it's very cold.
I turn mine off regularly but only on short journeys where the consumption effect is comparably very high. For a short journey you shouldn't have major problems with misting.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

sidehaas wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:39 am
Sheps wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:35 am Which is all making me wonder whether mine is working properly...
It is working properly. Fan and A/C stay on to manage the temperature you have set after turning off demist, as per G43FAN's post.
If you want to keep HVAC off for most of the time but to occasionally demist, you need to turn it back off manually.
Tbh I think it makes more sense to keep HVAC on the whole time for longer journeys. Especially if you dislike using the controls. Once it's at the right temperature it doesn't use a huge amount of energy. Effect on range is small unless it's very cold.
I turn mine off regularly but only on short journeys where the consumption effect is comparably very high. For a short journey you shouldn't have major problems with misting.
I had just typed almost exactly the same comments, all I will say is that in my head it's a bit like having a Modern Thermostat but switching the boiler on and off manually. If your having to constantly play with the boiler settings you need to alter the thermostat settings :)
Iainicorn

Post by Iainicorn »

Hiya, kind of on topic. I’m just wondering if anyone has the problem of the windscreen always seeming to be fogged up? It’s been like it since I got the car in feb. I’m forever turning the aircon on and off and putting the max on by pressing the button. So I either have to pull over and wipe it or have to open the window and then cos it’s bloody cold up here in Northumberland I have to close the window again and it seems like a never ending battle with my id3
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Checked the carpets/floors to see if they are damp?
Sanya

Post by Sanya »

I too recently had this problem and concluded the inside of my windscreen was very dirty due to the dashboard outgassing. This results in a film building up on the glass.

I've had this on previous new cars, but the ID3 seems to be particularly bad.

I've thoroughly cleaned my screen and my problems have gone away.
Family Pro Performance | Glacier White | Sanya 20” alloys | Delivered March 2022
3rd time EV owner | BMWi Pure wall box.
tomiks

Post by tomiks »

Hi Wback,

similar problem here since the system was upgraded to 3.2. Before it worked exactly as you would expect it: One push on MAX sets the windscreen fan to max and a second push makes it return to the exact state it was before. Anything else would make no sense in my eyes. It is one of the few flaws that came with the new software, which on the other hand fixed dozens of problems I had before. Still, I can’t understand how they can release software without properly testing it. And even less, how they can be allowed to release software with such flaws. This is a car, anything not working properly is potentially dangerous!
TimF

Post by TimF »

I think turning off MAX only returns to previous settings if those settings were something other than basic fan and temp? (And I've noticed no difference in that since shift from 2.4 via 3.0 & 3.1 to 3.2.) There is one difference: passenger side insists on defaulting to ECO, while driver side retains temperature setting.

As for fogging being the norm on cold mornings, we had the same for the first few months (from October 21), but these days it's only the case if previous day we'd been in the car with wet clothing / shoes. Even then, MAX clears it very quickly.