Stuck charge port

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
duncsand

Post by duncsand »

Hi, I'm posting this in case it helps someone else.

Today my charge port cover got stuck when I closed it after charging. It was nearly shut, but not quite - it wasn't flush with the body of the car. No amount of prodding and pushing would make it open, which meant I wouldn't be able to charge again.

After a bit of googling I discovered the fix: push hard on the port cover as if closing it, whilst repeatedly locking/unlocking the car with the remote. After a few goes at this the actuator released and now my charge port is operating normally. I discovered this because the charge port cover is the same mechanics as the petrol flap cover in VW ICE cars, so lots of cases of the actuator sticking given the number of cars with this mechanism across both EV and non-EV. If this does happen, don't force the flap open as that will likely break it. Instead, apply this fix and you'll likely fix it without damage and without a visit to a mechanic.

I hope that helps someone else.
---
id.3 Family Pro Performance.
Ordered September 2021, build week 25, confirmed built 1st July, collected from dealer 20th July.

vanb

Post by vanb »

Thank you. Good to know.
Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

Put a light smear of silicone based polish on the rubber and it will stop it from sticking.
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 70 on 25/11/22, build wk38
Arthur9

Post by Arthur9 »

Wish I had seen this post before. My charging flap stuck on 21 Dec day before I was going away for a week. Dealer managed to open (by prising it I assume) and left in temporary state where it would not close fully but at least I could use while away. I was told to book in to get actuator replaced. Did this and then had completely wasted day yesterday having taken car to dealer early and receiving call mid afternoon to say they needed to order the actuator housing and flap. Got car home - tried flap to check I could open and then discovered I could no longer close it and it was at 90deg to car thus making it undriveable - let alone letting rain into the uncovered port. Got VW assistance/AA out and nothing they could do except to suggest some parcel tape to keep the flap closed which looks just great on my 4 mth old car. Hoping they get the parts in next week but not amused.
Monaghan

Post by Monaghan »

Life saver. That worked for me and saved a brand new ID.3 from potential scratches.
ChrisTurner

Post by ChrisTurner »

Had this last night. Cured by pressing and locking/unlocking with the key fob. Hope it's not damaged anything.

Think it may have happened due to car timeout locking just at the point where I was closing the flap...?
Id3 Life Pro 145PS Moonstone Grey (with cycle carrier and heat pump as extras) ordered 2nd October ‘21.
"Confirmed" build - week 34 (22nd August).
Collected on 26th September '22.
watsonpa

Post by watsonpa »

Our port door just stuck too. This text thread was helpful, but the actuator failed to release after various efforts. We had to prize off the door and break the locking mechanism so we could charge and get home from France on the ferry the next morning. The actuator is still not working even now. We await VW garage view of warranty cover, but I can't see how this can be put on the owner in a two year old car.
I have never had charging anxiety but I might develop it about the port door on VWs!!