Power meter display?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Could someone with more knowledge than I, please try to explain something for me. This is a quote from the owner's manual:

" The power meter is a bar that is divided in the middle which changes in length depending on availability and current value. If the available brake energy recuperation and power no longer correspond to the maximum values, these bars are shortened accordingly."

If the brake energy recuperation line (the green line) is not at it's full amount, why would this be?
The reason I ask is that I am pretty sure that that green line on my display has always been shown as full, until fairly recently. For reference, I mostly use the "B" driving mode, as we live in a very rural area. I would use "D" when using motorways.
TIA

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Both green and blue bars reduce when the battery is cold - this is to protect the battery. The reduction with temperature has become greater with software 3.0 which may be why you've noticed it.
Additionally, the blue bar reduces at low SoC and the green bar at high SoC. Think of it like this - if the battery was completely full, it couldn't store any more energy so there would be zero regen available. In practice it's a sliding scale, when the battery is warm you'll have full regen below around 80%. Equivalent to the car limiting DC charging rates when it is at high SoC or when it's cold.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

sidehaas wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:39 pm Both green and blue bars reduce when the battery is cold - this is to protect the battery. The reduction with temperature has become greater with software 3.0 which may be why you've noticed it.
Additionally, the blue bar reduces at low SoC and the green bar at high SoC. Think of it like this - if the battery was completely full, it couldn't store any more energy so there would be zero regen available. In practice it's a sliding scale, when the battery is warm you'll have full regen below around 80%. Equivalent to the car limiting DC charging rates when it is at high SoC or when it's cold.
That makes sense. Thank you for your help. Indeed, it is since V3.0 that I have noticed this.
You seem quite knowledgeable on these cars. You don’t work for VW do you? 🙂
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Scratch wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:10 pm
sidehaas wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:39 pm Both green and blue bars reduce when the battery is cold - this is to protect the battery. The reduction with temperature has become greater with software 3.0 which may be why you've noticed it.
That makes sense. Thank you for your help. Indeed, it is since V3.0 that I have noticed this.
You seem quite knowledgeable on these cars. You don’t work for VW do you? 🙂
Haha no!
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

Scratch wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:22 pm ...
If the brake energy recuperation line (the green line) is not at it's full amount, why would this be?

You go skiing, driving up the mountain and arriving with 20% charge. You plug it in*. A week later it is time to go home, far away, the car has charged to 100%.
You start off down the mountain, the brakes are less effective and more wasteful than you are used to, becuase there is nowhere to put the potential energy you are discarding.

Has anyone done either a calculation or the experiment, should it leave the top of say, Val Thoren, at 80%, or less, or more, so as to arrive at the start of the journey on the flat at say 95% ?

* using your skill and judgement to do so at the right times etc, I don't assume you leave it on the charger for a week, although some day that may be the case on a domestic socket.