What Lays Ahead?

The place to discuss everything else..
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

People are waiting for their ID3 for 12, 15 or 18 months or more. I am one of these forgotten few. By VW at least.

When I first ordered, I was full of excitement. Couldn't wait. It's like a quantum leap in car tech. I remain amazed but the excitement is waning.

BUT I read of problems, common problems. At least they have sorted the software version, I don't have to worry about that together with a new battery. I read of many issues and my heart sinks, just a little bit more each time. My lease is for 3 years. Will it be three years of trouble free motoring?

So those with balls, crystal balls that is, will my car be trouble free as VW have ironed out all the teething issues? :)

Go on, make my day . . . :D
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max

gailjon

Post by gailjon »

As is always the case, forums are the way that many people can complain about elements of their vehicles. There are very few people who would register and post that their car had performed faultlessly and so you don't tend to read about them. Our ID3 has just done 20000 miles in two years and so far has always performed brilliantly. There have been no software issues that have lasted more than turning the car off and then on again and the latest 2.4 update went without a hitch.

Of all the cars that I have had none have performed faultlessly and reading the relevant forums you would think that every vehicle is just one turn of the key away from imploding on the driveway.

I can't say that every car is faultless, and I wouldn't expect them to be, but I can say that our ID3 drives great, is comfortable and has opened our eyes to the benefits of pure EV motoring. You will enjoy it when it arrives.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Sanya

Post by Sanya »

gailjon wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:26 pm As is always the case, forums are the way that many people can complain about elements of their vehicles. There are very few people who would register and post that their car had performed faultlessly and so you don't tend to read about them. Our ID3 has just done 20000 miles in two years and so far has always performed brilliantly. There have been no software issues that have lasted more than turning the car off and then on again and the latest 2.4 update went without a hitch.

Of all the cars that I have had none have performed faultlessly and reading the relevant forums you would think that every vehicle is just one turn of the key away from imploding on the driveway.

I can't say that every car is faultless, and I wouldn't expect them to be, but I can say that our ID3 drives great, is comfortable and has opened our eyes to the benefits of pure EV motoring. You will enjoy it when it arrives.
I couldn’t agree more with this post.
Family Pro Performance | Glacier White | Sanya 20” alloys | Delivered March 2022
3rd time EV owner | BMWi Pure wall box.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

There’s no doubt that the early ID3’s on 0564 software were rushed out and were a mess.
However, since version 2.4 was installed the car has been pretty stable.
What remains are largely smaller glitches.
I’m sure you’ll enjoy the car.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

OB1CCFC wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:59 pm There’s no doubt that the early ID3’s on 0564 software were rushed out and were a mess.
I think what remains is for VW to apologise to affected customers. But pigs will fly before that happens. Let’s face it, the car maybe great for a lot of us, me included, but their customer-communication protocol stinks. Facebook - really? And as for the folks who ordered eons ago, and still have no car, if that was me, I would run away and find a company with a modicum of professionalism.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Scratch wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:15 pm
OB1CCFC wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:59 pm There’s no doubt that the early ID3’s on 0564 software were rushed out and were a mess.
I think what remains is for VW to apologise to affected customers. But pigs will fly before that happens. Let’s face it, the car maybe great for a lot of us, me included, but their customer-communication protocol stinks. Facebook - really? And as for the folks who ordered eons ago, and still have no car, if that was me, I would run away and find a company with a modicum of professionalism.
As far as I can see all car companies are the same. Lots of them have been leaving customers with long delays and no information. Equally, others have taken orders for certain vehicles and then seemingly concentrated on building different ones. Some of them have changed the specification of cars post order and refused to honour the original order, something VW have not yet stooped to (edit - except for removing a tyre repair kit, although they did add in new seats and parking sensors in exchange). You only have to spend a few hours looking at forums for other cars to find this out. The 'delivery thread' is usually somewhere near the top.
VW's customer service is poor but the grass is not greener on the other side. It's clear that none of the big manufacturers were set up to properly deal with the consequences of major delays in their supply chains.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Up the jumper

Post by Up the jumper »

Sanya wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:39 pm
gailjon wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:26 pm As is always the case, forums are the way that many people can complain about elements of their vehicles. There are very few people who would register and post that their car had performed faultlessly and so you don't tend to read about them. Our ID3 has just done 20000 miles in two years and so far has always performed brilliantly. There have been no software issues that have lasted more than turning the car off and then on again and the latest 2.4 update went without a hitch.

I second this. Forums are pretty much universally about problem solving: not generally places for positive comment!

My ID3 will be 1 yo on 4th March. I have had a couple of red warnings, both of which looked alarming but dissapeared within 10 seconds. Other than that all has been well. 2.4 and battery were installed at end of October, and 3 OTA landed between Christmas and New Year. A slightly messy post OTA 3 synchronisation between car and app (which resolved by re installing app and re synching) is the only real point of note. I have thoroughly enjoyed the car so far.
Id3 Family Pro 58kwh, moonstone ordered 23/7/21 Picked up 4/3/22
Gloucestershire.
Kwr68

Post by Kwr68 »

Up the jumper wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:31 pm
Sanya wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:39 pm

I second this. Forums are pretty much universally about problem solving: not generally places for positive comment!

My ID3 will be 1 yo on 4th March. I have had a couple of red warnings, both of which looked alarming but dissapeared within 10 seconds. Other than that all has been well. 2.4 and battery were installed at end of October, and 3 OTA landed between Christmas and New Year. A slightly messy post OTA 3 synchronisation between car and app (which resolved by re installing app and re synching) is the only real point of note. I have thoroughly enjoyed the car so far.
I also concur 6 months in and the odd glitch and driver induced errors and a few ffs here and there but enjoying the the drive
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

My confidence is buoyed, thank you.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

2 years and 2 months in, nearly 60K km and outside of dodgy aircon (twice) and pretty naff SatNav data no issues.

We've had no problem with software updates, plus have the amazing bonus of free chargers everywhere.

Coming up to replace it soon, that'll be an interesting ride.
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

I haven't used my Ohme home charger and it is out of warranty now. They don't go wrong do they?
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

DumfriesDik wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:16 am I haven't used my Ohme home charger and it is out of warranty now. They don't go wrong do they?
I don't know if there are any common problems with the unit itseld, haven't heard of any, but it's not that uncommon for there to be installation issues like the CT clamp not set up correctly. This happened to me and I've seen others report similar online. Once you get your car, if it's not working properly and Ohme customer service can't help (but they are usually pretty good) get your installer back round to look. If they did install it incorrectly, I'd hope they should fix it regardless of warranty.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

DumfriesDik wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:16 am I haven't used my Ohme home charger and it is out of warranty now. They don't go wrong do they?
If you received the Govt Grant (although I don't know if this applies across whole UK) then the installation has Full on site cover for 3 years. When was it installed?
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:43 am
If you received the Govt Grant (although I don't know if this applies across whole UK) then the installation has Full on site cover for 3 years. When was it installed?
Thanks for that bit of info. It was 1 year ago.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Deleted User 1733

Post by Deleted User 1733 »

36month warranty on ohme home chargers - 12months on the portable versions.
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

As the Ohme was arranged via Motability, I have no paperwork whatsoever.

Anyway, if there are problems, I will cross that bridge when it happens. I haven't had my monthly update from the dealership this month - I hope there might be some positive news.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Deleted User 1733

Post by Deleted User 1733 »

DumfriesDik wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:37 am As the Ohme was arranged via Motability, I have no paperwork whatsoever.

Anyway, if there are problems, I will cross that bridge when it happens. I haven't had my monthly update from the dealership this month - I hope there might be some positive news.
Fingers Crossed ! On the 6th my max was still week12 - 00
whittaker52

Post by whittaker52 »

Fingers crossed it's not like my BP Pulse homecharger - I went to check it yesterday with an ID.3 refresher loan car from my local VW dealer. The car seemed to charge for 2 mins at 6.5KW/H, then the charger stopped and the red light showed up on the charge indicator on the car and it refused to connect again after that. The car was at 70% SOC and the charge limit was set to 100% with no charge scheduling set up. So I guess i'll have to call BP Pulse out to come and check it out.
MY 2023 58KW Makena Turquoise Max Pro Performance
Ordered: Mid-September 2021
Delivered May 31st 2023
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Big_GT wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:41 am Fingers Crossed ! On the 6th my max was still week12 - 00
Get in ya dancer. :mrgreen:
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

whittaker52 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:13 pm Fingers crossed it's not like my BP Pulse homecharger - I went to check it yesterday with an ID.3 refresher loan car from my local VW dealer. The car seemed to charge for 2 mins at 6.5KW/H, then the charger stopped and the red light showed up on the charge indicator on the car and it refused to connect again after that. The car was at 70% SOC and the charge limit was set to 100% with no charge scheduling set up. So I guess i'll have to call BP Pulse out to come and check it out.
Nightmare. Hope it is sorted soon for you.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max