New Tyres for an ID3 - A Cautionary Tail

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

For logistical reasons I ordered online a set of four Michelin Primacy 4+ tyres [215/55 R18 99V Extra Load Fitment] from National Tyre [now part of Halfords].
I ordered them approx. two weeks prior to the date of travel to Fort William [50 miles and two ferry crossings from where I live].
The day before I spoke to the Manager of the NT Depot in FW and confirmed that the tyres had actually arrived.
I set off at 07.00hrs and arrived as arranged ten minutes before the scheduled appointment of 09.30hrs.
They refused the fit the tyres because I have an EV and it doesn’t say EV on the tyres! :(
I’ve complained to Head Office and secured a full refund on the tyres; I’m arguing the toss on compensation!

After just 11,000 miles the original Bridgestone tyres (rear at least) are almost bald.
I’ve looked at these replacements:
Michelin Primacy 4+
Michelin CrossClimate 2
Continental All Season Contact

None have EV on the tyre, or are specifically for EVs, but the key seems to be this, in the list under speed Rating: XL
You may have noticed something similar in the description of the order I made to National Tyre Michelin Primacy 4+ tyres [215/55 R18 99V Extra Load Fitment]

I'm looking at Blackcircles.com, buying the tyres, having them delivered, and then getting a local garage to fit them.
I'd love to hear your comments.

XL Fitting.png

Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]

SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

Whoever told you this at the tyre fitter is a moron. Provided the tyre is the correct spec (size, speed rating and load index, XL if required) it's fine and legal. Loads of folk on this and other forums have opted to fit 'non-EV' tyres, eg all-season, to their EVs

Strange about Halfrauds: I have a motoring club account and thus they know my car is an EV from its reg, so when I search for suitable tyres, it offers me a wide range of non-EV ones. Actually, last time I looked, they didn't have any listings for EV-specific tyres....!
id3 Max 2021
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Sorry to hear you've been through this.. A ridicuous case of the so called experts again..

Michelin's Own website (a bit late now) lists those as options..
https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/browse- ... 55-R18-95T
SinglePointSafety

Raxacorico, in my experience Blackcircles have a good selection and you can specify a local fitter: they seem to have arrangements with a lot of fitters (apologies if you already know this). I've found they are not the cheapest and availability can be a bit variable, but the ordering experience and delivery to my choice of fitter has always worked fine
id3 Max 2021
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Thanks both for your replies [SinglePointSafety & G43FAN]
I actually said the guy at the counter that his industry needs to catch up with what's happening out there!
When I spoke to Halfords HQ about the potential millions of tyre sales they were missing out on, they seemed quite indifferent. A very poor sate of affairs.
I telephoned our local KwikFit [still requires one ferry trip, on an unreliable service] they were also a little uncertain about non-EV tyres fitted to EVs.
However when I accessed the Michelin website I quoted the illustration shown below. - So they are quite happy to fit them. So I'm booked in with KwikFit later in the month for a set of the CrossClimate2

MichelinWebsite.png

Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

SinglePointSafety wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:08 pm Raxacorico, in my experience Blackcircles have a good selection and you can specify a local fitter: they seem to have arrangements with a lot of fitters (apologies if you already know this). I've found they are not the cheapest and availability can be a bit variable, but the ordering experience and delivery to my choice of fitter has always worked fine
Thanks for your second reply - seemed to have crossed with my own. Turns out even getting a 'local' fitter, for me, is not that easy. There are three possibles; one was unreachable today, the other is a public menace with pavements covered in unattended vehicles, and the other didn't want to know (he'd be making nothing on the tyres of course) ... So, off for the ferry again!
SinglePointSafety

Yes, my local BC-approved fitter actually asked me to deal direct with him in the future, because of the small profit he makes via BC

I've had Michelin CCs on previous ICE cars and in every case there was a noticeable reduction in road noise and - for me - a better steering 'feel', helped by the more compliant tread filtering out some of the 'road buzz'. So a very positive experience. I, and no doubt others on this forum, will be very interested in your feedback on swapping to the CCs, especially changes in road noise and/or range
id3 Max 2021
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

SinglePointSafety wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:47 pm I, and no doubt others on this forum, will be very interested in your feedback on swapping to the CCs, especially changes in road noise and/or range
I'll certainly report back - I'm intrigued to find what difference there might be - watch this space!
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I ran cc’s last winter on a 58kwh pro. They are slightly noisier (marginal detectable). It’s very hard to detect the tyre effect in the worse economy you get in winter. I suspect it’s in the order of 0.2-0.4 off the mile/kwh total.

This year - newer id3 with continentals NOT Bridgestone - I’ve not felt the need to swap over (the cc’s are on a spare set of steels) as the contis are Much better than the bridgestones were.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Slightly off-topic, 50miles, does this route involve the trip from Mallaig to FW?
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

G43FAN wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:32 am Slightly off-topic, 50miles, does this route involve the trip from Mallaig to FW?
Hi G43FAN -No, I live on an island.
Up the jumper

Post by Up the jumper »

Resurecting this thread....I am currently in Kwikfit having a punctured tyre replaced - hit pothole, side wall split. 3 ramps. Every one has an EV with puncture replacement. As well as mine a Nissan and an Audi. All have sidewall damage. Is it reasonable to ask if the EV tyre compounds are more susceptible, perhaps more brittle?
Id3 Family Pro 58kwh, moonstone ordered 23/7/21 Picked up 4/3/22
Gloucestershire.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Hello 'Up the jumper' - there have been several comments like this over the last year or two. I can't really comment (and perhaps brittle, in context with an item made of rubber, is not the correct word, but I understand what you mean) but I wouldn't have thought so.
What I can comment on is the supreior ride I'm getting with my new tyres (see above) compared with the early worn out Bridgestones.
vanb

Post by vanb »

My ID.3 is exactly one year old. It came with the following tyres Good Year 215/55R18 95T Efficient Grip Performance Radial Tubeless. I don’t know anything about tyres and on the forum never seen anyone mention Good Year. Are they any good? I’m going to check tyre tread depth sometime this weekend. It’s been something I’ve intended to do for a while.
Up the jumper

Post by Up the jumper »

vanb wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:12 am My ID.3 is exactly one year old. It came with the following tyres Good Year 215/55R18 95T Efficient Grip Performance Radial Tubeless. I don’t know anything about tyres and on the forum never seen anyone mention Good Year. Are they any good? I’m going to check tyre tread depth sometime this weekend. It’s been something I’ve intended to do for a while.
Mine was also12 months old. The tyres were exactly the same Goodyears. The wear was good, but the visible split in the side wall said the wear was irrelevant!
Id3 Family Pro 58kwh, moonstone ordered 23/7/21 Picked up 4/3/22
Gloucestershire.
vanb

Post by vanb »

Up the jumper wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:42 pm
vanb wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:12 am My ID.3 is exactly one year old. It came with the following tyres Good Year 215/55R18 95T Efficient Grip Performance Radial Tubeless. I don’t know anything about tyres and on the forum never seen anyone mention Good Year. Are they any good? I’m going to check tyre tread depth sometime this weekend. It’s been something I’ve intended to do for a while.
Mine was also12 months old. The tyres were exactly the same Goodyears. The wear was good, but the visible split in the side wall said the wear was irrelevant!
Thanks for that. Will give mine a good inspection.