Ineffective Air Conditioning

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
johnnydisco

Post by johnnydisco »

I took my ID3 into the local dealer yesterday because it had a couple niggles which needed sorting.

One was that during the hot weather I noticed that the air conditioning was completely ineffective blowing our warm air. Over a period of a few weeks it became clear that when it was cooler outside the air just to the drivers side was pretty cool but the other vents weren’t, nor did it work on a hot day so I switched it off.

Yesterday VW had it all day and said it was fixed, I just hadn’t had it switched on and there were no faults. They are correct I had switched it off but only because it wasn’t coming out very cold so it was pointless.

Does anyone else think the ID3 has poor aircon or are there settings that work better than others? I have tried comfort and sport to see any difference.

Not sure where to go now as I’ve never had a car with aircon which doesn’t ultimately get cold after a bit of driving.

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Your car has a fault. Try a different dealer. A few others have had similar issues. When working properly the ID3 aircon is very good (in the front).
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
johnnydisco

Post by johnnydisco »

Thanks for that, they also said my 2 rear tyres were 53% worn. I only had them put on mid May and have travelled less than 1500 miles.

I’m starting to think they may be sharks.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

johnnydisco wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:42 am I took my ID3 into the local dealer yesterday because it had a couple niggles which needed sorting.

One was that during the hot weather I noticed that the air conditioning was completely ineffective blowing our warm air. Over a period of a few weeks it became clear that when it was cooler outside the air just to the drivers side was pretty cool but the other vents weren’t, nor did it work on a hot day so I switched it off.

Yesterday VW had it all day and said it was fixed, I just hadn’t had it switched on and there were no faults. They are correct I had switched it off but only because it wasn’t coming out very cold so it was pointless.

Does anyone else think the ID3 has poor aircon or are there settings that work better than others? I have tried comfort and sport to see any difference.

Not sure where to go now as I’ve never had a car with aircon which doesn’t ultimately get cold after a bit of driving.
The air con in my ID3 is great. One of the best I have used. The vents though are complete rubbish. Does anyone know if the vents in other VWs are like the ID3?
Moving the vent slider to regulate the air flow is plain daft. That slider should be used to alter the direction and there should be a separate knob to turn them on/off.
rwh202

Post by rwh202 »

As others have said, If the aircon really is on:

Climate - ON
Fan - Auto
Aircon - ON
Temperature set to 16

Then it should be like a fridge inside. If not, it's broken and needs fixing!
ID.3 Business - Moonstone
gc8475

Post by gc8475 »

johnnydisco wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:42 am I took my ID3 into the local dealer yesterday because it had a couple niggles which needed sorting.

Hi johnnydisco,

I registered purely because this fault sounds so familiar to what I had for the last month or so - it now seems to be resolved after about a week of driving!

Symptoms were exactly as you described, drivers side becomes only slightly cool, and other vents always blowing warm. I booked my car into Marshalls Letchworth to have it looked at, they said a similar thing, that they couldn't find anything wrong - they only reset the settings back to factory default and topped up the air con gas slightly (though I'm pretty sure that this wasn't the issue, the car is less than 1.5 years old).

Funnily enough though, I sat in the car park straight after picking it up to check, and it immediately started blowing cold. It was around 25°C+ outside so was going to tell if it didn't work! Perhaps there is some bug in the air con settings that prevents it from operating properly? I had only noticed the issue after the upgrade to 3.2, but this could be coincidence based on the time of year. I would suggest trying resetting to the factory settings in the infotainment and re-trying to see if that changes anything - you will definitely be able to tell when it is working properly! I am not sure if that is what the dealer did, but is worth a try.

Hope this information helps!
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I recommend reading this thread. I knew I had seen it discussed somewhere recently. Discussion of faulty sensors.
https://www.speakev.com/threads/id-3-ai ... ng.178291/
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
AlistairL

Post by AlistairL »

I recommend checking the vents are open - at least that's what made a big difference for me.
ID.3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White & East Derry Wheels
Ordered 17th March 2022
Build Week 10
Collected from Western Volkswagen Fort Kinnaird on 01 April 2023
johnnydisco

Post by johnnydisco »

Ok I just spent half an hour in the car. I can confirm that:

- The aircon is turned on, set to the lo temperature, ignition on
- The vents are open and warm air comes out
- Factory resetting did nothing other than me having to set everything up again :-)
- It’s only 21 degrees outside but there is no way I could sit in the car without a window open

That sounds like it’s broken right?
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Yes
gc8475

Post by gc8475 »

johnnydisco wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:23 pm Ok I just spent half an hour in the car. I can confirm that:

- The aircon is turned on, set to the lo temperature, ignition on
- The vents are open and warm air comes out
- Factory resetting did nothing other than me having to set everything up again :-)
- It’s only 21 degrees outside but there is no way I could sit in the car without a window open

That sounds like it’s broken right?
Yeah definitely sounds wrong - the difference was very clear when working properly - very chilly! Sorry to hear that nothing worked. Hopefully the dealer will take things more seriously if mentioning that it’s still not working properly.
vanb

Post by vanb »

Not happy with my air conditioning. Blows out warm air even on LO. I’ve had to open the windows to cool down and hate doing this as I like to be cocooned in my car- not hearing noisy cars and breathing in car fumes. Will mention it to VW dealership when I take my car in next month for a different issue.