Wireless Android Auto after 3.2 update

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

My car has just had its software 3.2 update, and I've been looking forward to being able to use Android Auto reliably. I've never been able to get it to work at all wireless, and under software 2.4 with a USB connection I generally had to delete the mobile device on the infotainment screen and reconnect it each time I wanted to use Android Auto.

Under software 3.2, first impression is that the USB connection now works properly - plug the phone in and it just works. However it's supposed to work wirelessly too, and I'd rather use it wirelessly. The infotainment screen says you have to have bluetooth connected, and wifi hotspot enabled and I've checked the settings but still can't get Android Auto to work.

My phone can function as a wifi hotspot (other devices can connect to it and access the internet through the phones cellular connection) but the ID.3 infotainment system can also function as a wifi hotspot so that passengers with ipads or whatever can use the internet via the car's cellular connection (although you have to pay a subscription to get such an internet connection through the car). It isn't clear to me whether the requirement for Wireless Android Auto is bluetooth and the phone as wifi hotspot, or bluetooth and the car as wifi hotspot.

Has anyone got Android Auto working wirelessly? And if so, how did you configure it?
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Android Auto has always worked reliably wirelessly for me since the car was new with 2.3. You do not need to enable a wireless hotspot from either the car or the phone. This might cause issues. The initial connection is made via Bluetooth and the phone/car will then communicate via Bluetooth or wifi without any of it being visible to you. You do need to have your phone's bluetooth and wifi turned on. You need to pair the phone with the car via Bluetooth on first connection. Follow Google's instructions:

https://support.google.com/androidauto/ ... =en#zippy=
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
phixion

Post by phixion »

My Android Auto works fine wirelessly and always has. I had trouble previously with Apple CarPlay but that was due to my phone being crap.

Have you considered your issues may be the phone itself? You should try factory resetting your phone, or clear the cache from Android auto completely and see if that fixes it.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

sidehaas wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:40 pm Android Auto has always worked reliably wirelessly for me since the car was new with 2.3. You do not need to enable a wireless hotspot from either the car or the phone. This might cause issues. The initial connection is made via Bluetooth and the phone/car will then communicate via Bluetooth or wifi without any of it being visible to you. You do need to have your phone's bluetooth and wifi turned on. You need to pair the phone with the car via Bluetooth on first connection. Follow Google's instructions:

https://support.google.com/androidauto/ ... =en#zippy=
Thanks. I'll have another go.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Update: reassured that Sidehaas has it running trouble-free I tried again.

The car parked on my driveway and both car and phone connected to my home wifi network. Phone and car paired on bluetooth. Still no joy. Tried various things, to no avail until I tried turning the phone's bluetooth transceiver off and back on again. It found the car and immediately the car infotainment screen offered 'do you want to use Android Auto?'. Yes I did. Went for a short drive (so, out of range of the home wifi network) and Android Auto continued to work wirelessly. Fantastic! Thanks for your help Sidehaas. I have longish journeys to do several times this week, I'll give it a thorough test.

So, the stuff on the infotainment screen about enabling hotspot is a load of drivel.
MattgID3

Post by MattgID3 »

phixion wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:40 pm My Android Auto works fine wirelessly and always has. I had trouble previously with Apple CarPlay but that was due to my phone being crap.

Have you considered your issues may be the phone itself? You should try factory resetting your phone, or clear the cache from Android auto completely and see if that fixes it.
I have found it unreliable on android 14 so disabled wireless AA in dev tools, hopefully will be fixed soon
Id3 family pro
Stonewash blue
Ordered 8/8/21
was Eta 17th jan 23
Delivery 14th DEC 2022
Build week 40 confirmed

Location South Gloucestershire
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Update after using wireless Android Auto for a couple of weeks:

It's mostly great but occasionally it fails to connect to my Google Pixel 7 Pro phone. When I get in the car sometimes it comes straight up with Android Auto, sometimes it shows an icon for Android Auto which you have to tap in order to get it to connect, sometimes it then connects, sometimes it comes up with a further dialog with a 'Use Android Auto' button which you tap, and then sometimes it connects and sometimes just sits there forever failing to connect.

So it's not perfect but 1000% better than what I had before 3.2.
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

I've never had an issue in two and a half years to be honest with wireless or by cable, both work but prefer cable due to the charging plate being unreliable.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

CarterHounslow wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:49 am I've never had an issue in two and a half years to be honest with wireless or by cable, both work but prefer cable due to the charging plate being unreliable.
Are we on the same page? I'm talking about Android Auto function, displaying phone apps including Google Maps on the infotainment screen. The connection between the phone and the car can be by USB cable or Wireless (Bluetooth) connection. Your comment seems to imply you're talking about charging the phone, either wirelessly or by USB connection.

My ID.3 First Edition does not have wireless phone charging - I don't have a wireless charging plate. Not a problem, I wouldn't want one.
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

HeidiFlowerpt Driver wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:32 am
CarterHounslow wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:49 am I've never had an issue in two and a half years to be honest with wireless or by cable, both work but prefer cable due to the charging plate being unreliable.
Are we on the same page? I'm talking about Android Auto function, displaying phone apps including Google Maps on the infotainment screen. The connection between the phone and the car can be by USB cable or Wireless (Bluetooth) connection. Your comment seems to imply you're talking about charging the phone, either wirelessly or by USB connection.

My ID.3 First Edition does not have wireless phone charging - I don't have a wireless charging plate. Not a problem, I wouldn't want one.
Yes, I am talking about Android Auto. I said the reason I don't use the wireless (it does work though as I have used it in the past) is because it zapped too much battery, and I don't like using the wireless charge plate. So I plug in via USB for it these days. But I still do occasionally use it, without issue.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

CarterHounslow wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:06 pm
HeidiFlowerpt Driver wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:32 am

Yes, I am talking about Android Auto. I said the reason I don't use the wireless (it does work though as I have used it in the past) is because it zapped too much battery, and I don't like using the wireless charge plate. So I plug in via USB for it these days. But I still do occasionally use it, without issue.
Thanks for clarifying.
Glasgowsheep

Post by Glasgowsheep »

HeidiFlowerpt Driver wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:02 pm Update after using wireless Android Auto for a couple of weeks:

It's mostly great but occasionally it fails to connect to my Google Pixel 7 Pro phone. When I get in the car sometimes it comes straight up with Android Auto, sometimes it shows an icon for Android Auto which you have to tap in order to get it to connect, sometimes it then connects, sometimes it comes up with a further dialog with a 'Use Android Auto' button which you tap, and then sometimes it connects and sometimes just sits there forever failing to connect.

So it's not perfect but 1000% better than what I had before 3.2.
I also have a Google pixel (6a though) and it worked pretty much perfectly before my update but now I'm having the same experience as you. Frustrating as hell
Anyone any ideas?
Glasgowsheep

Post by Glasgowsheep »

Realised my phone wasn't connecting to car wifi so that might be issue but when try to connect again forced onto Cubic telecom site, eventually managed to log in to site but won't connect my phone to car wifi, feels like it is forcing me to buy data I don't want.
Tried just plugging in via cable and my phone thinks it is attached to the car and running android auto but my car won't agree......ahhhhh
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Glasgowsheep wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:36 am Realised my phone wasn't connecting to car wifi so that might be issue but when try to connect again forced onto Cubic telecom site, eventually managed to log in to site but won't connect my phone to car wifi, feels like it is forcing me to buy data I don't want.
Tried just plugging in via cable and my phone thinks it is attached to the car and running android auto but my car won't agree......ahhhhh
You don't need to set up any form of connection to car WiFi yourself. Make sure your phone's Bluetooth and WiFi are enabled and that android auto is set up correctly on the phone. Then go to settings --> mobile devices in the infotainment and see if it lets you select Android Auto on your phone.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Nerdy

Post by Nerdy »

I would suggest if you still having an issue, factory reset the car from Settings. Then connect your phone via Bluetooth.
Android Auto uses bluetooth as handshake and will actually automatically connect to the car WiFi to use Android Auto. (If you have an older phone ensure you have enabled wireless AA under Settings/Android Auto)
danielt

Post by danielt »

Do you have a smartwatch? I found the putting my watch into airplane mode boosted reliability a lot. It takes two to tango and, sadly, there's plenty of ways for your phone to contribute to connection issues!