1 month driving ID3

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Caliban2005

Post by Caliban2005 »

I would like to share my first impressions with my new company car - a VW ID3 Life Pro Performance.

When the lease of my old car was coming to an end, my employer was kind enough to agree to replace my 2019 Audi Q2 30 TFSI with an ID3 as per my request. The car was ordered in Nov’22 and was finally delivered early in July. Unfortunately, it’s still the pre-facelift model.

Inside:
First impression upon delivery was good. Compared to the base model Q2 the inside of the car is actually visibly better. The Q2 only had hard plastic in the doors and the lower part of the dash which are all black. Now I have at least different colours / materials and the door handle in ‘piano black’. Personally, I really like the minimalist interior of the ID3. The ‘pause’ and ‘play’ symbols on the break/accelerator pedals are a nice touch, Also I find the seats of the ID3 are lot more comfortable. Overall, a decent gain compared to the Q2.

Ergonomics / Usability:
To be perfectly honest upfront: I am not the biggest fan of touchscreen and touch sensitive buttons. As we all know, the ID3 has very few actual buttons, so I was a bit apprehensive. After one month of use I can confirm that it’s OK. The buttons on the steering wheel work fine and provide good feedback when pressed. The infotainment screen works OK as well, although occasionally lacks a little when first started. The fact that there are only two buttons for the windows is a gain for me. I did find that in the Q2 I would press the wrong window button fairly frequently. Also the gear selector in the ID3 I find much better than the old fashioned automatic gearbox stick in the Q2
In comparison to the Q2 I preferred the physical buttons on the steering wheel and the “click dial” device in the centre console. Both provide the haptic feedback to operate them without taking the eyes of the road while driving.
Overall I preferred the way the Q2 could be operated, however switching to the ID3 is no problem at all. In my opinion the issues with the touch input are massively overstated in the motoring press.

Driving and Comfort:
Driving the ID3 is an absolute pleasure. I love the silence when driving with no engine noise. Most impressive is the responsiveness of the car. Whenever the accelerator is pressed the car just launches forward with no delay. In terms of ride comfort ID3 and Q2 are comparable with a small advantage for the Q2 handling bigger bumps in the road. I feel the Q2 did handle really bad road surfaces a bit better. I assume this is due to the lower weight of the car compared to the ID3.
Overall, this section is a massive gain for me. I would not want to go back to drive an ICE car - ever. The ID3 provides a perfectly smooth ride with no noise, no engine vibration and more importantly none of the silly ‘stop and start’ ICE cars have to do when stopping at traffic lights.

Efficiency:
I guess that it’s no surprise that the ID3 is an a different league when it comes to efficiency and cost effectiveness. For my use case I will charge the ID3 predominately at home for currently 10p per kw/h. Compared to the Q2 and the current average consumption of the ID3 of about 4.4m / kwh, I am looking at cost savings north of 80%. This is a massive win for the ID3.

Conclusion:
Switching to an EV has been an excellent decision for me. Aside from a slight learning curve to get used to the touch controls the transition from Q2 to ID3 has been a very smooth and enjoyable. I feel that driving an EV is so much nicer then an ICE car. Adding in the cost savings plus the piece of mind of zero emission driving and it becomes a no brainer.

IMG_1452.jpeg

2023 ID3 Life Pro Performance
Indra Smart Pro
OVO Charge Anytime

Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Great to get positive feedback on EV ownership and on the ID3 in particular. I can echo 90% of those points after 3 months, and I can't see myself returning to an ICE either.

Bit pricier for a home charge here in Ireland, very envious of 10p per Kilowatt, hence solar panels have been ordered.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
andy47

Post by andy47 »

I am on 3 weeks with my ID3 Maxpro using hand controls (I have MS and am in a wheelchair). I haven't driven for 4 years (2 years to get my license back from the DVLA - they aren't the easiest lot to deal with) and 2 years waiting for my ID3. I am slowly getting over range anxiety - using Intelligent Octopus works fine and charges the battery for just a few quid. The car is fun to drive but I miss holding the wheel with both hands and it doesn't hold the road anything like as well as my VW Golf GTD. The software and smart features/app work well - the only small irk I have is the miles "vs." Km range issue in the app. I say that the ID3 is a good step forward but there is some way to go to be as refined as my GTD. The battery will evolve I guess to solid state and in time become lighter, cheaper, safer and faster to charge with greater range. Right now I think it feels like a Beta product and needs battery evolution to compete like for like with my Golf GTD.

As the cost is a good £10k more than the Golf (though my lease was a great deal on Motability) but add in that it cost me £3k for my home charger (it's on an 85m run as I live in an apartment so I have it on a pedestal) then it will still take take me some years to break even on cost. Also the impact to mine all the minerals for the battery makes me dubious that it will be carbon neutral any earlier than it is cost neutral. So it feels very like a work in progress and not yet ready to replace all ICE cars, especially as on the road charging is now more expensive than petrol. Add in lack of fast chargers and poor reliability of chargers and ICE wins today.

IMG_2150.jpeg

Last edited by andy47 on Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ID3 MaxPro
Manganese, alloy wheels "Andoya"
Ordered Sept 21, received July 23
Intelligent Octopus, Easee Home
Caliban2005

Post by Caliban2005 »

andy47 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:06 pm I am on 3 weeks with my ID3 Maxpro using hand controls (I have MS and am in a wheelchair). I haven't driven for 4 years (2 years to get my license back from the DVLA - they aren't the easiest lot to deal with) and 2 years waiting for my ID3. I am slowly getting over range anxiety - using Intelligent Octopus works fine and charges the battery for just a few quid. The car is fun to drive but I miss holding the wheel with both hands and it doesn't hold the road anything like as well as my VW Golf GTD. The software and smart features/app work well - the only small irk I have is the miles "vs." Km range issue in the app. I say that the ID3 is a good step forward but there is some way to go to be as refined as my GTD. The battery will evolve I guess to solid state and in time become lighter, cheaper, safer and faster to charge with greater range. Right now I think it feels like a Beta product and needs battery evolution to compete like for like with my Golf GTD.
Regarding the refinement of the Golf vs. the ID3 - I suppose this is to be expected. VW had 30+ years to perfect the Golf into what it is today. I feel that the second generation of ID cars will be a much better in every way. As you said: better batteries, more efficiency, better charging, etc...

Still, for a new(ish) car on a new platform and drivetrain, I am really impressed with what I have seen so far. Hopefully more functionality will become available with future software updates. From my POV, there are only some minor niggles to be ironed out plus the option to pre-condition the battery before driving/charging and I would be very happy indeed.
2023 ID3 Life Pro Performance
Indra Smart Pro
OVO Charge Anytime
andy47

Post by andy47 »

"Regarding the refinement of the Golf vs. the ID3 - I suppose this is to be expected. VW had 30+ years to perfect the Golf into what it is today. I feel that the second generation of ID cars will be a much better in every way. As you said: better batteries, more efficiency, better charging, etc... "

well I had a Golf GTi mark 1, 3 and 7 (GTD) and my favourite was the original mark 1, mind I was young then and they still made them in South Africa. But the mark 1 GTI was a great car!
ID3 MaxPro
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

What's funny is the whole 0 - 60mph debate has been blown away by EVs. I had an early Ford XR3i (reasonable attempt to compete with the Golf GTI), plus I shoehorned a 2 litre rally engine into it, and my ID3 Pro Max is still faster off the line. Game over!
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

andy47 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:31 pm "Regarding the refinement of the Golf vs. the ID3 - I suppose this is to be expected. VW had 30+ years to perfect the Golf into what it is today. I feel that the second generation of ID cars will be a much better in every way. As you said: better batteries, more efficiency, better charging, etc... "

well I had a Golf GTi mark 1, 3 and 7 (GTD) and my favourite was the original mark 1, mind I was young then and they still made them in South Africa. But the mark 1 GTI was a great car!
I find your ID3 v Golf GTD comparison surprising. I have an Octavia VRS diesel as well as the ID3. The Octavia is perhaps a bit older than your Golf - it's as n early 2015 model - but is basically identical underneath to the equivalent Golf GTD. The ID3 is better in almost every way. It's certainly quicker, more refined on all road types, quieter and easier to drive. It's not quite as good when really pushing it on a B road but can still be plenty of fun, and (the crucial reason we keep the Octavia as well) it has a smaller boot and no roof carrying capacity.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
andy47

Post by andy47 »

The idea of the 3 in ID3 is obviously the third in the series: Beetle, Golf then ID3. I loved my Golfs (mark 1 Gti and mark 7 GTD especially) but the ID3 in contrast is very inoffensive. I couldn't fault the GTD in any way and it was such fun to drive on country roads. The ID3 in contrast is very competent but it feels heavy (as it is) on country roads and there are a million little things that need fixing. For example you get half a glove compartment as it is designed for left hand drive, or the SW won’t remember your settings (like turning off lane assist so you have to hack the settings) and every time I use the car i have to stop it wiping my seat settings. Then there is range - you can’t use an EV (any EV) with as much confidence as an ICE on long journeys (especially on very hot or very cold days.) So the ID3 feels like a good step forward but it is not an unforgettable classic step forward like the mark 1 GTi.
ID3 MaxPro
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

I have had the car three months or so and have no regrets in getting it.

I trust the GOM and have only done three long journeys but never had range anxiety.

It's in my memory as the first electric car I have ever had, like the first car I ever had. It has made a positive impression.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Andyjor63

Post by Andyjor63 »

Had my Family Pro since January 2023 58kw done 3500 miles worst car I have ever owned from a software point of view the amount of glitches in the system is a total embarrassment never again with vw and mine came with 3.2 pre installed not fit for purpose.
DCB

Post by DCB »

Had a Pro S for nearly 3 months, surprised that I have had no problems with the software (3.2) and have quickly adjusted to the lack of buttons. My only disappointment is the ride, living in rural Cumbria many roads are not that smooth so I do find the ups and downs more noticeable than my previous Toyota. The only irritating thing was the voice control, ‘she’ kept butting in on conversations so I’ve now turned it off. Economy is good, often get over 4.5 on a longer run. However I’m fed up with Octopus - I’ve been waiting since April for them to fix my smart meter, so I’m having to pay Economy 7 prices 16.07 kph. All in all pleased with the car after a 21 month wait since order.
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

I,had the same problem with Octupus, smart meter went down April 4th finally fixed July 24th and to get this done i E mailed Greg at octopus and within 2 days i had a phone call to arrange a date for repair . The repair involved turning off the power to the meters so they reset themselves , I still haven't had an electric bill so I've prepared myself for the battle over off peak usage by getting screen shots off my charger showing monthly kilowatts put into my car
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw