Newbie questions

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
pauland

Post by pauland »

Just bought an id.3 life pro (pre facelift).

It has horrible steel wheels.

I have ordered some alloy wheels with tyres.

I guess I need some locking wheel nuts and some news nuts altogether for the alloys?

In the past I would shove a jack under my cars and swap over wheels with impunity and a wrench, but the weight of this car makes me wonder if I should get a trolley jack or go and ask nicely at some tyre place to swap my wheels over.

I've been emailing some VW dealers for quotes about installing a transport hitch. My closest dealer (Camberley) has just not responded!

Will probably install a dashcam and a Apple Tag. and a boot tray.

I'll check out the car properly soon and see what the software version is. It was first registered in January 2023.

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

If registered Jan 23 it'll be on software 3.2.

We've had ours over 18 months but also thinking about getting a transport hitch added. I wish I'd ordered it new - they are quite expensive retrofitted by VW. Be interested what range of quotes you get.

Enjoy the car!
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Hi Pauland,

No need for a trolley jack, I just changed a wheel on the standard 2 tonne scissors jack (Halfords etc.), just make sure it is one with the slot on the lift point, as the car has four lift points with metal tangs.

If going the whole hog of four new alloys, I would buy a fifth as a spare.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
pauland

Post by pauland »

re: Transport hitch:

I contacted three local VW dealers, only one responded. £1,100 to fit and supply the hitch.