the.kes

Post by the.kes »

Positives:
Brilliant drive.
Rapid response.
Standard kit.
ID light.

Negatives:
The worst software ever foisted on customers of anything, heating controls that make decisions without any input from me, infotainment system that regularly forgets I have an iPod Touch connected, slow to respond to inputs, navigation system that cannot always be bothered to say directions, mood lighting that reverts to standard colour whenever I switch the car off.
VW UK, enough said on that issue.
Creaking panoramic sunroof.
Standard fit, non run flat Bridgestone tyres.
Idiotic design to put the only 12v socket in the boot which means you need an extension lead to reach the front nearside tyre.
Did I mention VW UK customer service.
Just thought of something else, the near lack of steering wheel adjustment, if you have the seat too high (so you can see what is in front of the bonnet) you then cannot get your legs under the steering wheel getting in and out. And on the same subject, I find it really difficult going forward into a lined parking space because you cannot see the edge of the bonnet.
Did I mention Customer Care?

Will I stick with EV, yes but it is unlikely that the next one will be a VW simply because of VW UK Customer Service this despite this car being the 12th VW that I have owned.
Last edited by the.kes on Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Family Pro-Performance, Manganese Grey, East Derry alloys.
Commission 314710**
Ordered 16/09/2021
Collected 19/10/2022

DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Did you mention VW UK customer care?!!

Will I stick with VW? It would have to be a good price.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Gannet15

Post by Gannet15 »

Agree with your input.
I bought car in Sept 2021 and really like it. Waited for software update to 3.something in Sept 2022. Advised in March 2023 that OTA no longer available - book into service centre.
Booked into service centre for update on Monday in July, phone call on Friday at 17:30 advising me that they had yet another update failure on a car and had been "advised by VW not to attempt any more updates but to refer customers to local VW HV centre."
Contacted centre in July and now booked in for update and battery check in March 2024 - approx eighteen months delay in updating software is not acceptable!
Much as I like this car it has been massively let down by its software and its capability to update either OTA or via service centres.
On another note, I recently read that VW have replaced many of their senior management in their software offshoot called Carriad.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Gannet15 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:22 pm Agree with your input.
I bought car in Sept 2021 and really like it. Waited for software update to 3.something in Sept 2022. Advised in March 2023 that OTA no longer available - book into service centre.
Booked into service centre for update on Monday in July, phone call on Friday at 17:30 advising me that they had yet another update failure on a car and had been "advised by VW not to attempt any more updates but to refer customers to local VW HV centre."
Contacted centre in July and now booked in for update and battery check in March 2024 - approx eighteen months delay in updating software is not acceptable!
Much as I like this car it has been massively let down by its software and its capability to update either OTA or via service centres.
On another note, I recently read that VW have replaced many of their senior management in their software offshoot called Carriad.
Whilst I am not a fan of main dealers, I think your issues with the software update at the workshop, are mainly due to the dealer’s incompetence. Our dealer is excellent for these updates. Mind you, VW OTA is a disaster.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Gannet15 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:22 pm Agree with your input.
I agree about the updates process. I haven't suffered any of the problems the OP has - we even got very good (Continental) tyres from new and a tyre repair kit with the car that reaches all four tyres comfortably. The existing software on our car is actually perfectly good now. It was glitchy for a few months when on 2.4 last year. The 3.0 OTA process worked well for us. But the decision to do 3.2 at the dealers and to combine it with this battery check before qualifying enough battery competence centres seems to have made the whole thing a bit of a disaster. Ours is going in next month (original appointment cancelled in July) but instead of being excited for an update like I was with 3.0, I am basically going to be filled with anxiety about it.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

I agree with virtually all your comments, but would add that reversing lights are far too dim.

Another VW? I don’t think so.😒
Family Pro Performance Moonstone Grey
Ordered 26 Nov 2021
Listers Nuneaton
Order No: 31568xxx
Build week : Unconfirmed
Delivered: 23 Sept 22
White Zappi 7kW - Tethered
andrewtc

Post by andrewtc »

Totally agree on software. You say “call home” and it goes “righto maximum cool cabin”; and you have to take your eyes off the road to sort out the mess. It keeps saying “tutorial” and repeating crap as though it is all your problem. The driver assist tries to push you into potholes and distracts you exactly when you need to concentrate on driving. Not tried registering online, or a dealer. Work has to sort that, its theirs.
the.kes

Post by the.kes »

andrewtc wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:46 am Totally agree on software. You say “call home” and it goes “righto maximum cool cabin”; and you have to take your eyes off the road to sort out the mess. It keeps saying “tutorial” and repeating crap as though it is all your problem. The driver assist tries to push you into potholes and distracts you exactly when you need to concentrate on driving. Not tried registering online, or a dealer. Work has to sort that, its theirs.
Driver Assist is anything but, first thing I have to switch off before I move off, daftest inclusion in any car ever.
Commission 314710**
Ordered 16/09/2021
Collected 19/10/2022
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

The mind boggles with these comments on Driver Assist.

This feature is part of the 5 star safety rating for the car, I think learning to use it properly is a vastly better option than turning it off. The idea that it is driving the car into potholes and a distraction is total nonsense.

I've never disabled this fantastic feature on this or any other car with it, I simply indicate more to change direction and/or slow down, either will cancel lane assist. I've used the distance assist on motorways and it works perfectly.

It reminds of the moaning when seat belt wearing became mandatory back in the 70s.

Driver assist will ultimately save lives, let's try to use the most up to date tech to make our roads safer.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I think Lane Assist is very useful on motorways or dual carriageways and I always leave it on.
I find it can be dangerous on rural B roads when I'm driving quickly because it will make the steering twitch when I don't want it to, so I always turn it off. If I was tootling along slowly it would be insignificant.
It is no issue for me in urban driving, by preference I'd probably have it off but never really think about it so it stays on.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
whittaker52

Post by whittaker52 »

I think the lane assist system has its times when it's handy and also has its times when it's borderline dangerous. After driving the car for a few months, I made the decision to disable it (well, setting it to memorise the setting from when the car was last used) using OBDeleven. The car now feels more predictable, and as a driver you can position the car appropriately when driving without fear the system will kick in - the system is smart, but it doesn't see or understand all road situations/conditions, and that's something i'd personally prefer to have complete control of.
MY 2023 58KW Makena Turquoise Max Pro Performance
Ordered: Mid-September 2021
Delivered May 31st 2023
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

I think if you break down your points sidehaas and whittaker52, the issues become clearer.

If you are driving on twisty B roads fairly quickly and the steering is 'twitching' it is because you are not staying in lane. Solution, slow down.

There are zero instances where lane assist is borderline dangerous, no manufacturer would install a system with such characteristics. Where are the statistics that show lane assist has caused more accidents than without? They don't exist. Only driver behaviour and adaptability (or lack of) causes situations that are dangerous.

Using a dongle device to permanently disable Driver Assist is foolish in my view, but I accept your right do do so as it is not a mandatory safety fuction (yet).

However, there are already discussions going on with insurance providers (surprise) and Road Safety authorities seeking to penalise drivers who have serious accidents and where the Driver Assist function has been turned off, and MAY have been a mitigating factor in the incident. I think there's lots more of this stuff coming down the line as AI gets stronger and more reliable.

I respect your views guys, and do agree on one area, where there are very ad hoc and confused markings around roadworks, the system can be confused (surprise). Solution, slow down and use your indicators.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Boattrainman wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:43 pm I think if you break down your points sidehaas and whittaker52, the issues become clearer.

If you are driving on twisty B roads fairly quickly and the steering is 'twitching' it is because you are not staying in lane. Solution, slow down.

There are zero instances where lane assist is borderline dangerous, no manufacturer would install a system with such characteristics. Where are the statistics that show lane assist has caused more accidents than without? They don't exist. Only driver behaviour and adaptability (or lack of) causes situations that are dangerous.

Using a dongle device to permanently disable Driver Assist is foolish in my view, but I accept your right do do so as it is not a mandatory safety fuction (yet).

However, there are already discussions going on with insurance providers (surprise) and Road Safety authorities seeking to penalise drivers who have serious accidents and where the Driver Assist function has been turned off, and MAY have been a mitigating factor in the incident. I think there's lots more of this stuff coming down the line as AI gets stronger and more reliable.

I respect your views guys, and do agree on one area, where there are very ad hoc and confused markings around roadworks, the system can be confused (surprise). Solution, slow down and use your indicators.

Rob
In my case, so far as I know, my insurance cover doesn’t compel me to use any automatic assist systems, but I guess that may be coming. This is going to get very complicated if insurance companies start to insist on these systems. Where does that leave older vehicles? In any case, at the moment these systems are only aids and not necessities, so the driver is responsible for their vehicle, whether these systems are fitted (and turned on), or not.
Gone are the days of enjoying driving, if it hasn’t gone already, looking at the congestion of some major roads.
the.kes

Post by the.kes »

I live in a rural area and above 80% of my driving is on B or unclassified roads where there are no lines or kerbs for the system to read therefore irrespective of the speed of the vehicle for the steering to want to take over is downright dangerous even more so if the road surface is greasy or icy. Fine with it on fast A road and motorways but not at any other time. My wife also has it on a Mokka e and again it is switched off everytime we get in her car, default should be off, option should be to put it on.
Commission 314710**
Ordered 16/09/2021
Collected 19/10/2022
Kwr68

Post by Kwr68 »

Boattrainman wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:18 pm The mind boggles with these comments on Driver Assist.

This feature is part of the 5 star safety rating for the car, I think learning to use it properly is a vastly better option than turning it off. The idea that it is driving the car into potholes and a distraction is total nonsense.

I've never disabled this fantastic feature on this or any other car with it, I simply indicate more to change direction and/or slow down, either will cancel lane assist. I've used the distance assist on motorways and it works perfectly.

It reminds of the moaning when seat belt wearing became mandatory back in the 70s.

Driver assist will ultimately save lives, let's try to use the most up to date tech to make our roads safer.

Rob

I have to agree with you completely people really need to chill out you can easily drive fast with lane assist on in fact I’ve turned into a game that’s why f1 drivers are so good they drive smooth
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

the.kes wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:15 pm I live in a rural area and above 80% of my driving is on B or unclassified roads where there are no lines or kerbs for the system to read therefore irrespective of the speed of the vehicle for the steering to want to take over is downright dangerous even more so if the road surface is greasy or icy. Fine with it on fast A road and motorways but not at any other time. My wife also has it on a Mokka e and again it is switched off everytime we get in her car, default should be off, option should be to put it on.
I agree with this 100%. Most of my driving is on rural roads and the car frequently tries to identify and then follow lane markings that do not exist, e.g. skid marks, mud tracks and tarmac repairs over pipes and cables. I think it’s a bloody nuisance a lot of the time and occasionally potentially dangerous, though it works fine on A roads and motorways. Personally, I would not have it on by default.
Family Pro Performance Moonstone Grey
Ordered 26 Nov 2021
Listers Nuneaton
Order No: 31568xxx
Build week : Unconfirmed
Delivered: 23 Sept 22
White Zappi 7kW - Tethered
whittaker52

Post by whittaker52 »

Boattrainman wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:43 pm I think if you break down your points sidehaas and whittaker52, the issues become clearer.

Rob
It has absolutely nothing to do with me keeping the car in the lane or the speed i'm driving, it's mostly been where the road edges aren't clearly defined, when you're on country roads where they may not have edge markings or centre markings, there may be pot-holes or even where you have lanes merge and the markings go away or even trying to over-take a bicycle - the system throws a complete wobbly. But it's all personal preference and the system has an on-off slider so you can set it just as you like it. If I felt I was doing anything unsafe, I wouldn't switch the system off, but while it makes me uncomfortable when it kicks in, the system will keep getting turned off. In its current state, the system really isn't smart enough yet to be completely relied on.
MY 2023 58KW Makena Turquoise Max Pro Performance
Ordered: Mid-September 2021
Delivered May 31st 2023
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Scratch wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:31 pm

Rob
In my case, so far as I know, my insurance cover doesn’t compel me to use any automatic assist systems, but I guess that may be coming. This is going to get very complicated if insurance companies start to insist on these systems. Where does that leave older vehicles? In any case, at the moment these systems are only aids and not necessities, so the driver is responsible for their vehicle, whether these systems are fitted (and turned on), or not.
Gone are the days of enjoying driving, if it hasn’t gone already, looking at the congestion of some major roads.
Your insurance is based on the car you drive, the ID.3 has assist systems that meet certain criteria, the insurance company knows this. Have you rung them to say you have modified your car to switch off assist systems? You have carried out a modification that alters the manufacturers standard specification, just like changing your suspension, having an ICE car remapped, changing the standard exhaust.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:43 am
Scratch wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:31 pm

Rob
Your insurance is based on the car you drive, the ID.3 has assist systems that meet certain criteria, the insurance company knows this. Have you rung them to say you have modified your car to switch off assist systems? You have carried out a modification that alters the manufacturers standard specification, just like changing your suspension, having an ICE car remapped, changing the standard exhaust.
I do not turn off the assist systems. In fact I like how the ACC works, and mine does work - mostly. It isn’t perfect but as I said, these are assist systems, not autonomous driving systems. I do switch off the lane assist, as like “the.kes”, I live in a rural area and the roads are, frankly atrocious. And the lane assist has a sliding select switch, so it’s not a compulsory requirement. White lines? Oh, if only we had white lines and not just pot holes.
danielt

Post by danielt »

I run with all the assistants in the default mode (on) and haven't have any problem with ignoring the nudge on the steering when I don't want it.

However I did have a fun experience on the M4 the other day when the ACC detected, incorrectly, that the speed limit was 100mph and adopted that as the cruise control target. Felt like an artefact left over from a poor conversion from km to miles (since the car "recognised" a sign that doesn't exist in the UK). Wasn't really dangerous as such (doesn't take long to press the Pause button) but was a bit weird.