TRADE IN

The place to discuss everything else..
GalwayID3

Post by GalwayID3 »

Thinking of trading in 121 ID3, biggest concern if we keep the car is the software warranty. Are there many ID3's over 4 years old with issues.

How long should you keep the car....

Think we may have rushed into buying electric, looking at PHEV but they are pricey. Any advice..

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

There are no ID3s over 4 years old yet.
In the UK the warranty runs out after 3 years. People have been able to buy extensions to their warranties for only a couple of hundred quid per year, which seems worthwhile. I don't know if it's different in Ireland.
Some people's cars seem to have more trouble than others, personally I wouldn't worry much if your car has generally behaved itself, but if you've needed multiple new control modules under warranty then sure, I might want to change.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Connolly

Post by Connolly »

GalwayID3 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:59 am Thinking of trading in 121 ID3, biggest concern if we keep the car is the software warranty. Are there many ID3's over 4 years old with issues.

How long should you keep the car....

Think we may have rushed into buying electric, looking at PHEV but they are pricey. Any advice..
The earliest ID3s' are just over 3 years old now. If you are on the latest software and if you do normal average mileage I don't think you have much to worry about if you were planning to hang onto the car for another few years. The most expensive component being the battery and is guaranteed for 8 years or 160000 km. If you are still anxious about what might go wrong and if you can afford it then trade it in for a new one although depreciation on ID3s has now been "normalised" so you won't necessarily get a good deal on your trade in (plenty of 3yr old ID3s currently for sale). Probably the other big issue is there are quite a few cheaper Evs coming onto the market which won't help resale values of older ID3s. The other smaller issue perhaps is that you have to pay subscriptions for some of the software apps once they expire at 3 years - but don't know the ins and outs of this.