General usability questions

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
MattBCL

Post by MattBCL »

Hello all - hoping someone can help.. My son inherited my ID3 lease earlier this year (I gave up waiting and opted for a Tesla), and whilst he loves the ID3, he says a few things are causing him some annoyance. I've never really driven the car so am in no position to comment. Some issues I can believe, others I'm less sure of and I'm hoping can be easily resolved through configuration. He reports the following:

1. He can't find a way to remotely pre-heat the car now it's winter nor check the state of charge from his iPhone. Apparently the WeConnect App has recently been discontinued and the functions which were in that app are not in the 'VW' app to which he's been signposted (in the now-defunct WeConnect App). Surely, there must be way to do these 2 basic functions from your phone? I witnessed the VW app myself when he showed me last night - and sure enough - all that's there relates to basic info like VIN numbers and service schedules etc; nothing which would allow him to interact with the car. Is that normal?

2. There's no way to bring the car to a compete stop using brake regeneration (i.e. without touching the brake pedal)..? My Tesla (and also a BMW i3 I have) both allow this. Is this not possible on the ID3 - even with some crafty ODB coding?

3. Lane keep assist - is there a way to permanently disable this - it drives him nuts!

4. Driving in 'B' mode requires him to select that mode specifically each time. Is there a way we can code the car so it defaults to B mode each time?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Tour Pro S (Scale Silver) on a Business Lease from Plan Cars
Ordered Mid-June 2022 from a cancelled Sep 2021 order, expected 11/22 now 03/23
Order ref 314011**
Octopus referral (£50 to us both): https://share.octopus.energy/soft-wave-441

Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Hi,

I can't speak to point 1. as I'm using the VW App and have no problems with checking state of charge or preheating the car (very useful recently).

2. There is no way to change the braking function in B Mode to stop the car completely without using the brake pedal.

3. and 4. There are third party dongles etc. that you can buy to plug into the car to alter the software, they are advertised on the web. I've never heard of anyone using one to default the drive setting to B instead of D. in relation to permamently disabling the Lane Assist because it is 'annoying' I strongly suggest you think long and hard about disabling a system that forms part of the 5 star NCAP safety rating of the vehicle, the entire point is that it defaults to 'on', your son should learn to use the system instead of fighting it (and/or slow down and indicate propetly which cancels it).

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
StewartManley

Post by StewartManley »

MattBCL wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:13 am 1. He can't find a way to remotely pre-heat the car now it's winter nor check the state of charge from his iPhone.
The Volkswagen app has all the features of the old app and more. He should ensure he has "purchased" both the WeConnect and WeConnect Plus contracts from the store (either in the car or via the MyVolkswagen web site) and installed them in the car.
2021 Tour Pro S, software v3.2, Stonewashed Blue.
lntelligent Octopus Go. Zappi. Solar.
EV driver since early 2018. E-cyclist. Retired.
Octopus referral https://share.octopus.energy/tough-lark-325
MattBCL

Post by MattBCL »

Thanks Stewart - that makes sense. I'll pass it on and see how he gets on.

Rob: I think the issue is that it intervenes as he's just happily driving along, without good reason. Granted, if he's changing lanes, then indicating will allow him to do so without intervention, but it's the seemingly unprovoked interventions it takes which cause the problem. He's not alone in this - I recall others having problems with it also at the time I was ordering it. If it can't be defaulted to off (as it would seem) then fine; just thought I'd check.
Tour Pro S (Scale Silver) on a Business Lease from Plan Cars
Ordered Mid-June 2022 from a cancelled Sep 2021 order, expected 11/22 now 03/23
Order ref 314011**
Octopus referral (£50 to us both): https://share.octopus.energy/soft-wave-441
TimF

Post by TimF »

Regarding 2 - the way it's set up does mean creeping in stop-start traffic jams is easy.

As for 3, there are plenty of threads here on that topic. Until 3.0 came out, it was apparently easy to disable lane assist permanently with an OBD11 (plugs into diagnostic socket). But following 3.0 that seemed to stop the defeat. I haven't read anything recently that suggests someone's found a way round. As Boattrainman says, it's a feature assessed for Euro NCAP rating, and the standard <https://cdn.euroncap.com/media/77303/eu ... e-v103.pdf> requires that it must not be capable of being disabled by "a momentary single push on a button". (So it's fine that one has to press four distinct parts of the screen to turn it off or back on, which is something few people can do without looking away from what's going on outside.) I wouldn't mind having permanently engaged if the supposedly intelligent lane edge detection was any good, but apart from high-contrast lane markings it's rubbish, and the out-of-middle-of-lane system seems to take no account of the road situation ahead (eg parked vehicle in the other lane meaning approaching traffic will be moving into your own lane which is wide enough if you move to the inside edge). If you were involved in an accident AND you had turned it off AND it was possible that lane assist would have reduced the severity of the collision, the insurer would certainly be interested - but there's a lot of ifs in that situation, and Google doesn't turn up any reports of such situations. Anyway, there's no requirement to engage ACC every time (which would automagically maintain separation from the vehicle in front), so why should it be required to have lane assist engaged every time?
Pablosammy

Post by Pablosammy »

TimF wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:17 pm Regarding 2 - the way it's set up does mean creeping in stop-start traffic jams is easy.
I personally find creeping in stop start traffic easier with "push to go" rather than "push to stop". Although I'm used to autos, I prefer to be able to take my feet off the pedals when stationary. It's also easier to inch forward with a light touch on the throttle rather than dragging the brakes.

Overall though, you get used to what you drive so it's not really a deal breaker.
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Matt,

The Lane Assist does not come on 'without good reason' that is not possible, go for a spin with your young lad and see for yourself........maybe he's trying the 'Dad this car is rubbish' trick to get deep into your pockets, had the same with my daughter and her perfectly acceptable VW Polo!

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Pablosammy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:41 pm
TimF wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:17 pm Regarding 2 - the way it's set up does mean creeping in stop-start traffic jams is easy.
I personally find creeping in stop start traffic easier with "push to go" rather than "push to stop". Although I'm used to autos, I prefer to be able to take my feet off the pedals when stationary. It's also easier to inch forward with a light touch on the throttle rather than dragging the brakes.

Overall though, you get used to what you drive so it's not really a deal breaker.
In the ID3 in stop start traffic you can just put ACC on and you hardly need to touch the pedals at all. Or if you prefer not to use ACC, you still get auto hold each time you stop, so there is never a need to sit there with your foot on the brake. It's incredibly easy.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
RichyJ91

Post by RichyJ91 »

Pablosammy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:41 pm
I prefer to be able to take my feet off the pedals when stationary.
Just turn on Auto Hold and after pressing the brake whilst at traffic lights for example you can then take both feet off the pedals and it will stay still, automatically, as the name suggests. Very handy on hills!
TimF

Post by TimF »

Boattrainman wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:48 pm The Lane Assist does not come on 'without good reason' that is not possible, go for a spin with your young lad and see for yourself........maybe he's trying the 'Dad this car is rubbish' trick to get deep into your pockets, had the same with my daughter and her perfectly acceptable VW Polo!

Rob
Sorry Rob, lane assist DOES come on without good reason*. There's a country road near me (chalk downland) where it picks up white stones off to the side of the road and declares that they are the kerb markings. If I don't disable it, lane assist tries to shift the car midway between the stones and the centre line, ie to and beyond the gutter. IMO the concept is fine, but the system simply isn't "intelligent" enough.

*So does front assist, also known as phantom braking, although that is a lot less common than lane assist's incorrect diagnoses of out-of-lane driving.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

TimF wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:59 am
Boattrainman wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:48 pm The Lane Assist does not come on 'without good reason' that is not possible, go for a spin with your young lad and see for yourself........maybe he's trying the 'Dad this car is rubbish' trick to get deep into your pockets, had the same with my daughter and her perfectly acceptable VW Polo!

Rob
Sorry Rob, lane assist DOES come on without good reason*. There's a country road near me (chalk downland) where it picks up white stones off to the side of the road and declares that they are the kerb markings. If I don't disable it, lane assist tries to shift the car midway between the stones and the centre line, ie to and beyond the gutter. IMO the concept is fine, but the system simply isn't "intelligent" enough.

*So does front assist, also known as phantom braking, although that is a lot less common than lane assist's incorrect diagnoses of out-of-lane driving.
and yet you give the exact reason it is happening, white stones, usually placed by people to highlight the edges of the road.
Pablosammy

Post by Pablosammy »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:29 am
TimF wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:59 am

Rob

and yet you give the exact reason it is happening, white stones, usually placed by people to highlight the edges of the road.
To be fair, he said no GOOD reason. The human eye can tell that in this situation there is no reason for the car to take evasive action, but the car does it anyway as it got tricked by some chalky debris. The tech isn't ready yet, and I'd argue it can sometimes be more dangerous than good
Lithium Brian

Post by Lithium Brian »

The levels of snark in this forum are incredible. The same handful of users salting up sensible discussion.

The lane assist was installed to tick a box to up their compliance. It wasn't added to enhance the driving experience and many people across many forums have complained about it.

The thinner skinned users here don't like criticism of the car. Arguing with someone's opinion that they don't like the option is not helpful.

You can turn it off, you need an OBDeleven dongle and that will allow you to code the setting to remember your last choice. It works on 3.2.
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Matt,

I take your point, there are one or two cases where the Lane Assist isn't great, confused road markings or where there are road works etc. The AI isn't strong enough in these instances, hopefully it will improve with later iterations.

Lithium Brian - I don't agree with your main point, this forum is blessedly free from the usual carping you get, and most discussions are conducted with a high degree of courtesy and manners. I think you should look at the tone of your own post, it is not in keeping with the majority of users here.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Lithium Brian wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:43 am The levels of snark in this forum are incredible. The same handful of users salting up sensible discussion.

The lane assist was installed to tick a box to up their compliance. It wasn't added to enhance the driving experience and many people across many forums have complained about it.

The thinner skinned users here don't like criticism of the car. Arguing with someone's opinion that they don't like the option is not helpful.

You can turn it off, you need an OBDeleven dongle and that will allow you to code the setting to remember your last choice. It works on 3.2.
Wow you went to all the trouble of creating an account so you could have a go at little old me.. I don't know whether to be scared or honoured but I know I've had enough of people like you. so cheers all.
the.kes

Post by the.kes »

Interesting about the need to press so many "buttons" to turn of Assist on the VW, my wifes Mokka e also has the assist system but it just requires a 4 second press of a physical button on the centre console to switch it off. So much more convenient than faffing around via the Infotainment system and yes living in the Derbyshire Peaks with very little in the way of lane marking and kerbs, it makes the most sense to disable it for nearly every journey.
Family Pro-Performance, Manganese Grey, East Derry alloys.
Commission 314710**
Ordered 16/09/2021
Collected 19/10/2022
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

Lithium Brian wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:43 am You can turn it off, you need an OBDeleven dongle and that will allow you to code the setting to remember your last choice. It works on 3.2.
I can confirm that the Lane (Keeping) Assist default setting can be changed following s/w 3.2.
Some forum members had reported problems whilst trying to action this - but the remedy seems to be that you should open the car bonnet whilst making this change.

BTW you no longer need to "code the setting" - the OBDeleven app which comes with the dongle allows this setting to be changed as one of their pre-packaged functions.