Charging to 100% at Home - Advice Please

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

I have set a home location. I usually charge to 80% and have the battery care mode toggled on.

I wanted to charge to 100% at 8.30am.

For the life of me, I could not budge it from 80%. No matter what I tried, I could not get the car charged to 100%.

Preconditioned, yes.

What should I be doing to get a 100% charge?? It really shouldn't be this difficult.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max

Pablosammy

Post by Pablosammy »

Do you have a smart charger with the limit set at 80%? Or a tariff like Octopus Intelligent where you tell it what to charge the car to?
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

You just increase the correct charging limit from 80% to 100%. That's it. You can do it either beforehand or while the car is charging.
The only tricky bit is where you change the limit. Each defined charging location you have set has its own target, and there is then a general target that applies only when the car is not in a charging location you have set.
If you are changing the target in the car's infotainment, it will automatically present the settings for wherever it is currently parked. If you do it in the app, the charging target in the main settings menu is the general target. To change the target in the app for a set charging location you need to press departure times, scroll down and press the name of the location you want, then press the settings cog that appears in the top right corner
This brings up all the settings specific to that location.

If you are on OI you might need to change stuff with Octopus too. I'm assuming you haven't got any limits set in your wall box.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
EdinburghID3

Post by EdinburghID3 »

DumfriesDik wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:58 am I have set a home location. I usually charge to 80% and have the battery care mode toggled on.

For the life of me, I could not budge it from 80%. No matter what I tried, I could not get the car charged to 100%.

Preconditioned, yes.

What should I be doing to get a 100% charge?? It really shouldn't be this difficult.
I have seen my car halt at 80% occasionally despite updating to 100% in the VW app and Octopus app. I would recommend setting to 100% in the car too as that approach hasn't failed me (yet!).
Family Pro: East Derry Wheels: Moonstone Grey
Software v3.2
Zappi V2 Charger

Octopus referral code - https://share.octopus.energy/ready-ape-905
(Currently £100 split 50/50)
the.kes

Post by the.kes »

I always switch the battery care button to off as well as use the 100% in the car and in the app, has always worked for me using a schedule controlled by the Hive app for the charger.
Family Pro-Performance, Manganese Grey, East Derry alloys.
Commission 314710**
Ordered 16/09/2021
Collected 19/10/2022
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

the.kes wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:02 pm I always switch the battery care button to off as well as use the 100% in the car and in the app, has always worked for me using a schedule controlled by the Hive app for the charger.
Agree with this. Someone has previously said that you shouldn’t need to turn the battery care mode off, but the only time I didn’t, it only charged to 80% and not the 100% I asked for. I haven’t risked trying it with battery care mode on since, as I need the full charge.
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

DumfriesDik wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:58 am I have set a home location. I usually charge to 80% and have the battery care mode toggled on.

Preconditioned, yes.

It is fiddly, because of the multiple locations in the app you might be setting it in.
I have home configured as a location, and when I want a high charge I go to Departure Times ||Home || settings (top right cog) and set it to 100% there.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

So, the other day I wanted to exactly this. Try as I might, the car just wouldn’t allow it. I thought it could be a charger problem because my Ohme Pro had been playing up (many others had reported the same). A week later I tried to do the same and it still wouldn’t charge above 80%. Battery care mode was off, the slider was raised all the way to 100% on the app but still no joy. Eventually I changed the slider inside the car. The car then charged from 80% to 100%.
Id.3 Launch edition 3
Moonstone Grey
Ohme home pro
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Dermottdog wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:48 pm Eventually I changed the slider inside the car. The car then charged from 80% to 100%.
I will try to remember and set it inside the car next time!! Glad I am not the only one to have noticed this feature.

What a faff.

Thanks everyone, for the record, I am on Octopus Tracker and use an Ohme Pro. Charger is treated as a dumb charger and only ever use the VW to make changes now I have a home location set in the car.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

DumfriesDik wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:25 am
Dermottdog wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:48 pm Eventually I changed the slider inside the car. The car then charged from 80% to 100%.
I will try to remember and set it inside the car next time!! Glad I am not the only one to have noticed this feature.

What a faff.

Thanks everyone, for the record, I am on Octopus Tracker and use an Ohme Pro. Charger is treated as a dumb charger and only ever use the VW to make changes now I have a home location set in the car.
It's not a feature. If you are doing things correctly it should work. Mine was charging last night and after reading this thread I realised I hadn't actually charged to 100% since 3.2 so I should try it...it works exactly as it did on 3.0. The car had already reached its 80% target and stopped but was still plugged in. I went to the VW app, went to the charging settings for my home location and increased the charge target. It gave me the battery care warning and said it would revert to 80% after the charge but I didn't turn battery care off. The car started charging again (beyond 80%) straight away. The app took a minute or two to sync and recognise the new status. Apart from the sync delay it all worked perfectly, like it normally does.
Perhaps integration with IO complicates things.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Dermottdog wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:48 pm So, the other day I wanted to exactly this. Try as I might, the car just wouldn’t allow it. I thought it could be a charger problem because my Ohme Pro had been playing up (many others had reported the same). A week later I tried to do the same and it still wouldn’t charge above 80%. Battery care mode was off, the slider was raised all the way to 100% on the app but still no joy. Eventually I changed the slider inside the car. The car then charged from 80% to 100%.
Unless you have a connectivity problem the app and car always sync together within a minute or two (faster from app to car; it is the car being slow to update the cloud that causes the delay in the app status updating). Changing the same settings in either has identical effect. The issue is that the app has multiple menus with multiple charge target sliders and you need to move the right one. If your car is at a home charging location, the main settings menu will not do anything. You need the settings for that specific location, which are accessed via the departure times menu and clicking on the name of the charging location (eg Home) then the settings cog. You'll get a menu that looks like this.

Screenshot_2023-12-09-07-26-45-549.jpeg

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

sidehaas wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:27 am
Dermottdog wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:48 pm So, the other day I wanted to exactly this. Try as I might, the car just wouldn’t allow it. I thought it could be a charger problem because my Ohme Pro had been playing up (many others had reported the same). A week later I tried to do the same and it still wouldn’t charge above 80%. Battery care mode was off, the slider was raised all the way to 100% on the app but still no joy. Eventually I changed the slider inside the car. The car then charged from 80% to 100%.
Unless you have a connectivity problem the app and car always sync together within a minute or two (faster from app to car; it is the car being slow to update the cloud that causes the delay in the app status updating). Changing the same settings in either has identical effect. The issue is that the app has multiple menus with multiple charge target sliders and you need to move the right one. If your car is at a home charging location, the main settings menu will not do anything. You need the settings for that specific location, which are accessed via the departure times menu and clicking on the name of the charging location (eg Home) then the settings cog. You'll get a menu that looks like this.
Hi
I can’t really say what happened on the two occasions that it wouldn’t work for me. All I can say with certainty is this - the app charge settings were set to charge to 80% during the previous day. 2 hours before we were to depart the next morning, I changed the app settings to 100% and the battery care mode wasn’t on and I saved those on the app. As I’m with Ovo anytime, I thought it might be a good idea to plug the car back in on the morning on my long journey to A. Fully charge to 100% and B. To warm the car big time as it was zero degrees. The car just wouldn’t charge. At the time, being new to charging, I thought it could be that the battery being so cold wouldn’t allow the extra 20% or a charger issue. We departed with 80%. The next time we wanted to do a similar thing, it happened again but this time I had more time to investigate. Even though the app said 100% and battery care was off, when looking at the settings in the car, the charge graphic still said 80%. I slid the slider up to 100% and the car started to charge. My be a 3.5 issue?
Id.3 Launch edition 3
Moonstone Grey
Ohme home pro
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Dermottdog wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:40 am
Hi
I can’t really say what happened on the two occasions that it wouldn’t work for me. All I can say with certainty is this - the app charge settings were set to charge to 80% during the previous day. 2 hours before we were to depart the next morning, I changed the app settings to 100% and the battery care mode wasn’t on and I saved those on the app. As I’m with Ovo anytime, I thought it might be a good idea to plug the car back in on the morning on my long journey to A. Fully charge to 100% and B. To warm the car big time as it was zero degrees. The car just wouldn’t charge. At the time, being new to charging, I thought it could be that the battery being so cold wouldn’t allow the extra 20% or a charger issue. We departed with 80%. The next time we wanted to do a similar thing, it happened again but this time I had more time to investigate. Even though the app said 100% and battery care was off, when looking at the settings in the car, the charge graphic still said 80%. I slid the slider up to 100% and the car started to charge. My be a 3.5 issue?
I'm not sure if you've understood the point I was making. Where were you changing the charge target in the app, which menu? If you have a charging location created you need to change it in a specific sub menu, not in the main settings menu. The settings in the main app settings menu only apply when the car is outside of any defined charging location. So if you changed them there, it would not be surprising that the car showed different settings. The car shows the settings for whatever location it detects itself to be in at the time.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

sidehaas wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:07 pm
Dermottdog wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:40 am

Hi
I'm not sure if you've understood the point I was making. Where were you changing the charge target in the app, which menu? If you have a charging location created you need to change it in a specific sub menu, not in the main settings menu. The settings in the main app settings menu only apply when the car is outside of any defined charging location. So if you changed them there, it would not be surprising that the car showed different settings. The car shows the settings for whatever location it detects itself to be in at the time.
Ah, yes. All has become clear now. I have set a home charge location. 👍
Id.3 Launch edition 3
Moonstone Grey
Ohme home pro
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Ok cool, hopefully it'll work reliably as you expect now :)
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

sidehaas wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:52 pm Ok cool, hopefully it'll work reliably as you expect now :)
Don’t worry, I’ll let you know😂
Id.3 Launch edition 3
Moonstone Grey
Ohme home pro
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

It should not be this hard. I mean, why have a battery care button at all? It's just another spanner in the works I'd suggest.

I will also report back when I need to go on a run - just don't hold your breath!
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

DumfriesDik wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:32 am It should not be this hard. I mean, why have a battery care button at all? It's just another spanner in the works I'd suggest.

I will also report back when I need to go on a run - just don't hold your breath!
As I explained you should not need to do anything with the battery care function. Just change the target in the right menu if you have a location created.
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

DumfriesDik wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:32 am It should not be this hard. I mean, why have a battery care button at all?
I suspect, without even a trace of actual knowledge, that some bit of VW asked around about what people who might buy an electric car worry about, and got answers which included overcharging and increased battery degradation, as well as not having enough charge to get somewhere and assorted other things.

And they then put a control on that allows you to set the car to absorb enough charge to get somewhere - or at least as far as it can get - and gives you a positive way of alternatively telling it to keep the charge down, because we are not going anywhere very far tomorrow.

Other approaches might exist, and we may all become very relaxed about the whole thing, and engineers and chemists are working on making batteries that are hardy as the rocks and cheap as chips, so what the controls will say in a few years I don't know. Possibly Standard, Advanced, and Nerd.

Mine is charged to just over 80% this evening, and instructed to wake up before I do, charge to 100% and warm the cabin up ready to go, as we are going some distance tomorrow. It required an effort of will to get it and the charger configured just so.
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

I failed to get it to go to 100% again this morning. So I went out to the car in what felt like sub-zero weather to move the slider in the car to 100%. It is now charging. The slider in the App was set to 100%, seems that message didn't get through to the car. I did get a message on the iPhone - Start Charging Failed. We're sorry, something isn't working properly. Please try again later.

It is utter tosh.

This is not comfort and joy.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max