Charging to 100% at Home - Advice Please

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

DumfriesDik wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:15 am I failed to get it to go to 100% again this morning. So I went out to the car in what felt like sub-zero weather to move the slider in the car to 100%. It is now charging. The slider in the App was set to 100%, seems that message didn't get through to the car. I did get a message on the iPhone - Start Charging Failed. We're sorry, something isn't working properly. Please try again later.

It is utter tosh.

This is not comfort and joy.
Are you absolutely certain you are moving the correct slider in the app? To me it seems unlikely if it didn't match the car. I know I keep banging on about this but so many people get it wrong and then assume there has been a "glitch" rather than user error.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

DumfriesDik wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:15 am I failed to get it to go to 100% again this morning. So I went out to the car in what felt like sub-zero weather to move the slider in the car to 100%. It is now charging. The slider in the App was set to 100%, seems that message didn't get through to the car. I did get a message on the iPhone - Start Charging Failed. We're sorry, something isn't working properly. Please try again later.

It is utter tosh.

This is not comfort and joy.
This was how I had to do it. However, it’s been explained that because I had a charging location set up, this might have been the problems. I suspect this is indeed the case because a couple of of weeks ago I charged whilst away from home and I changed the app % to 90 and it charged to 90!!
Id.3 Launch edition 3
Moonstone Grey
Ohme home pro
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Dermottdog wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:38 pm [This was how I had to do it. However, it’s been explained that because I had a charging location set up, this might have been the problems. I suspect this is indeed the case because a couple of of weeks ago I charged whilst away from home and I changed the app % to 90 and it charged to 90!!
You know, I think this is something to do with it. I have charged to 100% in the past and I suspect before I set up a charge location.

I am mystified but at least I can do it via the car. I used the app to change the max charge to 80% and clicked the battery care option. It seems to be happy to accept a reduction in charge.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

DumfriesDik wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:15 pm
Dermottdog wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:38 pm [This was how I had to do it. However, it’s been explained that because I had a charging location set up, this might have been the problems. I suspect this is indeed the case because a couple of of weeks ago I charged whilst away from home and I changed the app % to 90 and it charged to 90!!
You know, I think this is something to do with it. I have charged to 100% in the past and I suspect before I set up a charge location.

I am mystified ...
Just in case it helps...
1) if you have set up a home change location then your car has more than one set of charge settings, one for that home location and one for everywhere else
2) in the car, it presents you with the settings for the location it is in and nowhere else. So if it's parked at your home location then most settings you change in the in-car charging menu will only apply in that location. Equally if you change your charging settings in the car while you are somewhere else, they will no longer apply when you get home.
3) in the app, you can change the settings at any time for either your home location or everywhere else, but they have different menus. The 'everywhere else' menu is under "settings" and looks like the first picture below. The home menu is counter- intuitively accessed via "departure times", the name of the location and the settings cog, and looks like the second image below.
Only this second menu should/will have any impact on the car when it is in your home location. Only the first menu will have any impact on your car when it is everywhere else.
Good luck.

Screenshot_20231211-212902.png

Screenshot_20231211-212912.png

ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

sidehaas wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:30 pm Just in case it helps...
Thanks for this explanation.
I always thought that User Interfaces for mobile Apps were supposed to be intuitive!
Only a Cariad engineer could create something as bizarre as this. To have a secondary settings cog (on the departure times section) and to assign it a colour which has low contrast with its background is poor design.

In fact, the whole concept of charging schedules for specified locations being sub-sumed under 'Departure Times' is unnecessarily convoluted.
This shambles would be just about forgivable if VW made the effort to properly document and inform it's ID series customers on the workings of these arcane interfaces.

Surely a more rational design arrangement would be to have Locations as the top level menu - with Departure Times & Preferred Charging Times being equally weighted options for each specified location?
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Gwyver wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:04 pm
sidehaas wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:30 pm Just in case it helps...
Thanks for this explanation.
I always thought that User Interfaces for mobile Apps were supposed to be intuitive!
Only a Cariad engineer could create something as bizarre as this. To have a secondary settings cog (on the departure times section) and to assign it a colour which has low contrast with its background is poor design.

In fact, the whole concept of charging schedules for specified locations being sub-sumed under 'Departure Times' is unnecessarily convoluted.
This shambles would be just about forgivable if VW made the effort to properly document and inform it's ID series customers on the workings of these arcane interfaces.

Surely a more rational design arrangement would be to have Locations as the top level menu - with Departure Times & Preferred Charging Times being equally weighted options for each specified location?
100%, I agree the menu structure is really poor.
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Yes thanks for that information. I will digest it, hopefully even understand it!
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

I had a better read with the app open. I found the first part easy, but the charge location was challenging. But I have it now and thank you for your patience.

Seasons Greetings!!
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

DumfriesDik wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:15 am I failed to get it to go to 100% again this morning. So I went out to the car in what felt like sub-zero weather to move the slider in the car to 100%. It is now charging. The slider in the App was set to 100%, ...
Very frustrating. Mine did as I asked.
A setting which may also be capable of complicating matters is the one that offers "Charge immediately" and "charge for departure time" +/1 air conditioning.