Can adaptive cruise control be installed later?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
JOE_Denmark

Post by JOE_Denmark »

Hi
New to this forum which is SO much better than any found in Denmark. Just bought an id.3 from 2021 imported from Germany which doesn't have cruise control installed. (only lane assist, speed limiter, front assist). My local dealership tells me that it can't be installed ... but I am curious if that really can be true? I'm not an expert but isn't all the necessary hardware already there for cruise controlled to be implemented through software activation? :?:

vanb

Post by vanb »

Welcome.

I took delivery of an ID3 Life Pro Performance 58 kWh battery back in March 2022 (ordered August 2021). I got the cheapest/base model and it has ACC. I thought it was just standard! Surely if it’s on the base model, it should be on all ID3s!!!!
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

vanb wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:02 pm Welcome.

I took delivery of an ID3 Life Pro Performance 58 kWh battery back in March 2022 (ordered August 2021). I got the cheapest/base model and it has ACC. I thought it was just standard! Surely if it’s on the base model, it should be on all ID3s!!!!
It's standard on all ID3s sold in the UK but not in all countries, some have a lower/cheaper base spec. Specs differ between countries, the model names used in the UK are mostly not used elsewhere either.
OP, sorry, no idea...I'm not sure if ACC uses the same hardware as the front assist system that you say you have. Unfortunately I think you'll be very unlikely to find anyone who has had it done on this site for the reasons given above. Try the ID Driver's Club Facebook group, that has a big community of ID3/4 drivers from across Europe.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
thomasx31

Post by thomasx31 »

Hi Joe

https://carsol.dk/shop/?category=&wpce_ ... pe=product

Check out this site - they make all sorts of things, if it not on the website just mail them and they will get you an answer i'm sure

Thomas
ID.3 Pro S - 2021
Denmark
TimF

Post by TimF »

I suspect all the hardware and software to provide ACC is already in place, it just needs someone to plug in the right bit of VW-provided kit, type or key in the appropriate magic codes, and it will magically appear.

ACC doesn't use any information that isn't already used by other aspects of the car, nor control anything that isn't already controlled by other modules (such as motor driving/regenerating in response to brake pedal / accelerator pedal / front assist).