Hello!

New to the Volkswagen ID.3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
ChocoFudgelet

Post by ChocoFudgelet »

Hi all!

I've had my id.3 for a couple of months now so I thought I'd get in on the action here. My id.3 is a 2020 1st edition that the dealership managed to get me a decent deal on.

It's not been smooth sailing on the ownership so far but I'm hoping that the immediate pain will mean the long term will be easier. To give some info, this is my fourth ever car. I've had a Renault 5, Kia Picanto, Hyundai i20 N and now the id.3.

Initially when I went to take delivery of the car on 1st Nov they phoned me a few hours before to say that they had software updated the car and it was throwing an error on the dashboard, and that it worked fine but would have to be picked up at some point to be fixed and they'd drop off a courtesy car for me. I said that'd be fine, and picked up the car anyway.

Got home. Can't link the car to the VW app. Called the "free" number to try and sort it out. Nothing. Send an email, and get a response after a few days to state that because the car was linked via the old we-connect app it was conflicting with the new VW app and couldn't link. They'd go away and try and sort that out and advised me to wait for a response. In the meantime EE charged me for the call to VW's number. C'est la vie.

24th Nov the dealership calls, says they have a last minute slot to take the car to the nearest workshop capable of fixing the car in Exeter but I'd have to drop the car off. Annoying but I accepted, and as it was a weekend the fact they didn't have a courtesy car available was extra frustrating but "fine". I asked how long the car would be gone for and the dealership said it'd be a couple of weeks. Europcar phones the following Monday to arrange a car, what I think they say is a Mercedes EQE, and Tuesday drops off an EQB, which surprises me and is an absolute humongous tank compared to my previous cars.

It is now 27th Dec, my id.3 is still in the shop, I've spoken to the dealership and they don't know what's going on, probably parts on backorder causing the delay and I should have been told 5/6 weeks not 1/2, and I've had my car in my own possession less time than the dealer has since I've owned it, but we'll see how it goes when I get it back.

(In the meantime VW had emailed back saying try and register the app again but I can't until the cars home.)

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

It sounds like when they did the 3.2 update it failed the battery check and needs a module replacing. This isn't unusual and shouldn't be a bad thing (it's basically VW being proactive about replacing a bad part long before it affects the 70% capacity guaranteed by the battery warranty). However it's become a mess and a real headache because there aren't enough dealers competent to do the work, or seemingly enough parts. For what it's worth my car has been driving absolutely fine but also failed the check, I haven't booked it in yet. I'm monitoring cell voltages via an OBD dongle and can see there is one that is often slightly too low.

Good luck getting it back soon! When you do, it sounds like you need to get the car completely de-linked from the previous owner's VW /weconnectID account. Anything about a conflict between different versions of apps is complete tripe. ID cars were never on weconnect, they were on weconnect ID, which is separate. Weconnect ID then became the VW app, ie it's the same thing. Other VW cars have had to transition to the VW app from weconnect, but that's not the case for us. There wasn't even a version change via Google play when the app name changed (there have been version updates since).

It's also worth logging on to myvolkswagen on the web, seeing if you can link your account to the car there, and checking you have purchased (hopefully for free) 'weconnect' and 'weconnect plus' contracts. These should not be confused with the phone app but are required for remote services to work. Oh and make sure you have enabled the right permissions in the car infotainment user menu (privacy settings).
Simples eh! :D
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
ChocoFudgelet

Post by ChocoFudgelet »

sidehaas wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:25 pm It sounds like when they did the 3.2 update it failed the battery check and needs a module replacing. This isn't unusual and shouldn't be a bad thing (it's basically VW being proactive about replacing a bad part long before it affects the 70% capacity guaranteed by the battery warranty). However it's become a mess and a real headache because there aren't enough dealers competent to do the work, or seemingly enough parts. For what it's worth my car has been driving absolutely fine but also failed the check, I haven't booked it in yet. I'm monitoring cell voltages via an OBD dongle and can see there is one that is often slightly too low.

Good luck getting it back soon! When you do, it sounds like you need to get the car completely de-linked from the previous owner's VW /weconnectID account. Anything about a conflict between different versions of apps is complete tripe. ID cars were never on weconnect, they were on weconnect ID, which is separate. Weconnect ID then became the VW app, ie it's the same thing. Other VW cars have had to transition to the VW app from weconnect, but that's not the case for us. There wasn't even a version change via Google play when the app name changed (there have been version updates since).

It's also worth logging on to myvolkswagen on the web, seeing if you can link your account to the car there, and checking you have purchased (hopefully for free) 'weconnect' and 'weconnect plus' contracts. These should not be confused with the phone app but are required for remote services to work. Oh and make sure you have enabled the right permissions in the car infotainment user menu (privacy settings).
Simples eh! :D
Yup everything you've said is spot on with the issues that have cropped up.

I'm not at all fussed that they're replacing the necessary bits, just a little irked that the dealer gave me a bad time frame and then told me they should have never said that when I followed up. The car worked fine when I had it although it thought 100% charge was max 190 miles of range. The cars already fully delinked now it just needs me to register it when I get it back. I tried on the website but it didn't work there either.

I've loved the car itself and I'm eager for it to be home (especially compared to this EQB which isn't nearly as intuitive or pleasant). Just been a little challenging to my start of ownership haha.