2.4 to 3.???

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Happy New Year to all!

So my cars service (rip off) will be due in a few months time this year.

As well as the service, I had thought about migrating from software version 2.4 to the latest 3.something. I had this booked in for a remote VW garage last year (the only one I could get), but I backed off due to the distance if something went wrong.

Which leads to the question.

As the car is working perfectly on 2.4 is there any point taking the slight risk of something going amiss with 3.whatever? I see a number of users with probs from the slight to the annoying, so don't want to take a perfectly working vehicle and give myself a headache.

Thanks.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

There are some improvements. But the battery recall issue is a bit of a PITA at the moment especially as dealers don't have capacity to actually do the work of your car needs it.
What you need to bear in mind is that it's classed by VW as a recall rather than an optional upgrade so when your car next visits a dealer they may insist on doing it whether you want them to or not. It may also affect the value of the car at some point if you don't do it.
The other factor is that personally I would want it done while the car is well inside warranty so that if there are any complications you have more peace of mind.

Overall? My advice would be, get it done, ideally while the car is inside the warranty, but if you are happy with the car at the moment there is no point rushing.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Thanks sidehaas, you're a rock of sense.

There are six months to go on the warrantly, so will have another shot at a local VW dealer to see if they can take it in. Fingers crossed.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

sidehaas wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:29 pm There are some improvements. But the battery recall issue is a bit of a PITA at the moment especially as dealers don't have capacity to actually do the work of your car needs it.
What you need to bear in mind is that it's classed by VW as a recall rather than an optional upgrade so when your car next visits a dealer they may insist on doing it whether you want them to or not. It may also affect the value of the car at some point if you don't do it.
The other factor is that personally I would want it done while the car is well inside warranty so that if there are any complications you have more peace of mind.

Overall? My advice would be, get it done, ideally while the car is inside the warranty, but if you are happy with the car at the moment there is no point rushing.
"It may also affect the value of the car...............”
Not wanting to hijack the thread but, just for a laugh, I was looking at Teslas and thought it would be interesting to get a trade in value against one of their all singing, all dancing, cars. My ID3 is a September 21 Life with metallic paint, alloys and heat pump with 16k on the clock. Their valuation - £11,250.
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Bloody hell Scratch, thats interesting, but prob not a surprise against a Tesla.

Would that be different against another VW?

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Boattrainman wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:49 am Bloody hell Scratch, thats interesting, but prob not a surprise against a Tesla.

Rob
I only did it for a laugh. Some time ago I spoke to someone at a Tesla outlet who said that they will quote ridiculous trade ins, as they don’t want the cars.
Then why should I bother with a Tesla? They are, IMHO, not much more ahead of many others now. They don’t even provide indicator stalks! :lol:
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

I've a buddy got a work Tesla and didn't like it at all. Stuck it out for the three years and switched to an ID4.

I'm hoping (foolishly?) that my 21 ID3 will get me about 15 - 18k euros against another VW in about two years time.............god loves an optimist!

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Boattrainman wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:49 am Bloody hell Scratch, thats interesting, but prob not a surprise against a Tesla.

Rob
I have been tempted to ask my VW dealer about changing to the facelift ID3. It would be interesting to see what they quote. If it's a similar derisory amount, I would have to ask them why should I buy another VW, when they lose so much money over less than 3 years?
I have been in their showroom recently and it struck me that there wasn’t one EV on display.
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Gothca Scratch.

Indications are that the current EV market has tanked, the early adopters, the car curious and those genuinely trying to live a cleaner life have switched.

Car makers are saying they are doing their bit, it's now over to governments in terms of charging infrastructure, home charging rates and other incentives to go green.

Just on a 'vox pop' level, very few of our family or friends have or are planning to get an EV. We've suggested that anyone with 2+ cars in their household could change one and still have petrol/diesel backups.

The biggeat gripe I get relates to your Tesla trade in, that its still too early to get into the matket, and you'll take a hiding on current EVs, they are too expensive with huge depreciation cliffs, and several low cost makers are entering the field MG BYD etc. which will drive costs down.

I've one clever buddy who decided to go EV for the cheapest cost possible. He bought a six year old Nissan Leaf that has only about 120km range left for 5k euros, spent 500 getting it tidied up etc. He uses this for all the short hops (shopping etc) and the 2 litre diesel for everything else. More stories and examples like this should be heard.

Onwards and upwards.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Scratch wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:57 am

Rob
I have been tempted to ask my VW dealer about changing to the facelift ID3. It would be interesting to see what they quote. If it's a similar derisory amount, I would have to ask them why should I buy another VW, when they lose so much money over less than 3 years?
I have been in their showroom recently and it struck me that there wasn’t one EV on display.
Have you tried motorway or wbac? Motorway still think mine is worth £18900 (Family with alloys and metallic paint, Jan 22, 21000 miles). On autotrader they are up for about £21000 so that seems about right. Of course if new prices drop more to meet sales targets in 2024 then used prices will come down too.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

sidehaas wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:42 pm

Rob
Have you tried motorway or wbac? Motorway still think mine is worth £18900 (Family with alloys and metallic paint, Jan 22, 21000 miles). On autotrader they are up for about £21000 so that seems about right. Of course if new prices drop more to meet sales targets in 2024 then used prices will come down too.
I am not actively looking to sell the car - I like it. Just testing the waters in anticipation of being out of warranty in September. A lot could change by then though.
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Booked for software upgrade and battery check for April with main local dealer.

Got much better response this time, maybe dealers are getting the message!

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

sidehaas wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:42 pm

Rob
I got £20,400 trade in allowance from VW on my Dec 20 1st Edition (28,000miles) against a new facelift model in Nov last year
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Thats encouraging Sherlock, good luck with the new car.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max