buying second hand - advice!

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
delta27

Post by delta27 »

Hi everyone, would love some advice! I'm going to see a pro performance (2022 reg) this weekend. I'm sightly apprehensive though as I've never bought an EV through a private seller before. I wondered if you can give me any advice on what sort of things I should ask / check? Thanks in advance for your input!

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Give it a really good test drive. Look out for any error messages. . Make sure you try out the infotainment screen and the haptic controls. You do get used to these over time (and then they work very well) but it's worth making sure you aren't totally averse to them as some seem to be.
Check what software version the car is on. You want it to already be on 3.2. You can check this by looking in the driver's screen with the car turned fully on (brake pressed). Slide the steering wheel view button both ways. If you can see driving consumption data, it's highly likely on the latest software. If you can't then it isn't. You will probably also see a button in the main menu called 'ID software". Click that it should say 3.2. On older versions this button doesn't exist. If it says 3.1 the car may still be due an update.
Check there are no recalls outstanding that could indicate a battery cell fix is required. If you write down the VIN (under the corner of the windscreen) you can check it on this website. Do not use an alternative Oz website which has been linked a lot, it does not get updated when recalls are completed.
https://www.dieteren.be/en/recall/?fbcl ... 7t_A-rRCRg

If the car is on old software or has an outstanding recall but is otherwise perfect for you, you could still get it, but you need to recognise you could have to send the car to the garage for ane xtended period (under warranty) if a battery fix is required. The latest software (3.2) brought in an extra check on battery cells which has resulted in quite a few cars getting a module replaced due to an identified manufacturing defect.

Make sure the seller removes their car from their VW app and then resets the infotainment to factory settings (this won't revert the software version). That way, you should then be able to add it yourself.

Check it has all the key spec items you want that the seller says it has. There are (a very small number of) odd cars out there with missing bits.

If it's on 18 inch tyres, make sure it has a tyre repair kit in the boot (under the false floor just inside the boot lip. Some from 2022 onwards didn't come with them. 18" ID3 tyres aren't self sealing so you'd need to buy one yourself if not.

There are not many mechanical faults I've heard of. If you hear a knocking sound from a corner when going over bumps, it might mean one of the suspension links needs replacing, it's a warranty item.

First service is due 2 years after registration. There is no service book.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
delta27

Post by delta27 »

Thanks so much, that's all super helpful info!