Limit speed with Travel Assist

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
ar76

Post by ar76 »

I love using Travel Assist. My understanding is that it will always detect the speed limit of the road, based on signs seen or map data, and set the speed of the car accordingly.

Let’s say a road is a dual carriageway with national speed limit signs. So the car will drive at 70mph. Is it possible to set a top limit to, say, 60mph for the purpose of getting more range out of the battery? I often like to cruise at 60 on long journeys, and it keeps speeding up to 70, so I have to hard-press the speed down button twice.

mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

You can get it to ignore signs in the menu, but that is likely to hinder rather than help as you will _always_ be adjusting the speed.

The car will keep the limit until it thinks the limit has changed.

As an example, you go into a 50Mph rural road. You set the car to 40MPH. If you go past six 50 signs, the speed should not change as it thinks the limit is 50 and you set 40. If you then go into a 40, it will change the limit (but will match your speed, so you don't notice) then going back to a 50 would automatically set the speed to 50.

In practice, it normally clips a 30mph road and corrects itself quickly, but is enough to change your setting.

Edit: To directly answer your question, no I don't think there is a top speed. If it thinks it sees a 90 sign, it will speed up.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

ar76 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:42 am ...

Let’s say a road is a dual carriageway with national speed limit signs. So the car will drive at 70mph. Is it possible to set a top limit to, say, 60mph for the purpose of getting more range out of the battery? I often like to cruise at 60 on long journeys, and it keeps speeding up to 70, so I have to hard-press the speed down button twice.
You can stroke the vertical stripe of buttons rather than pressing the bottom one.

No answer on the main question though. It does seem a bit more DB5 than ID.3 though.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

To be honest, I wasn’t sure what Travel assist did, until I read this and some other posts. My lowly 2021 Life model seems to have travel assist, but it’s not on the spec sheet for my car. I use it all the time though to stop me from getting a speeding ticket.
I guess your query has been answered above, but I generally knock the 70mph detected speed down to 65 on motorways and dual carriageways. It works well.
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

Scratch wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:18 am To be honest, I wasn’t sure what Travel assist did, until I read this and some other posts.
To be fair the title of the post is incorrect, but still makes sense. OP probably does have travel assist, but they are talking about Adaptive Cruise Control.

Travel assist will steer the car down a road using ACC. That isn't on the life models (unless you purchased the pack that includes it). All ID3 models have ACC in the UK (but apparently not all countries).
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

mediaguy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:13 am
Scratch wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:18 am To be honest, I wasn’t sure what Travel assist did, until I read this and some other posts.
To be fair the title of the post is incorrect, but still makes sense. OP probably does have travel assist, but they are talking about Adaptive Cruise Control.

Travel assist will steer the car down a road using ACC. That isn't on the life models (unless you purchased the pack that includes it). All ID3 models have ACC in the UK (but apparently not all countries).
OK thanks
ar76

Post by ar76 »

mediaguy wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:13 am

I have the option to switch between ACC and Travel Assist, and I always have it in Travel Assist mode. But yeah maybe ACC does the same thing. It’s pretty great but sometimes speeds up - I guess as intended - because the map data or a sign tells it there’s a new higher limit. This is fine, but would be handy to be able to set a maximum.

Definitely a ‘Nice to have’ more than a complain. And yes probably more DB5 🤣