LHD Wipers Fitted to RHD Car

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen ID.3
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

An old thread, I know.

I was out in some terrible rain recently and didn't find the wiper situation to be too bad. I do Rain-X the windows though.

Yet to try the car in snow!
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max

Connolly

Post by Connolly »

In February this year I traded from the ID3 to the Cupra Born. As you know the cars are very similar underneath but there are quite a number of differences which make for a nicer car IMHO. On the wipers both wipe from the centre to the outer edges of the windscreen. Having experienced water being pushed from the passenger to the driver's side on the ID3 this is certainly not helpful especially in heavy constant rain. With both cars being made on the same assembly line is this something VW could change for the ID3?
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Connolly wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:09 am In February this year I traded from the ID3 to the Cupra Born. As you know the cars are very similar underneath but there are quite a number of differences which make for a nicer car IMHO. On the wipers both wipe from the centre to the outer edges of the windscreen. Having experienced water being pushed from the passenger to the driver's side on the ID3 this is certainly not helpful especially in heavy constant rain. With both cars being made on the same assembly line is this something VW could change for the ID3?
Are you saying that the Born wipers are different to the ID3?
Connolly

Post by Connolly »

Scratch wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:33 am
Connolly wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:09 am In February this year I traded from the ID3 to the Cupra Born. As you know the cars are very similar underneath but there are quite a number of differences which make for a nicer car IMHO. On the wipers both wipe from the centre to the outer edges of the windscreen. Having experienced water being pushed from the passenger to the driver's side on the ID3 this is certainly not helpful especially in heavy constant rain. With both cars being made on the same assembly line is this something VW could change for the ID3?
Yes, they work differently. On the Born they wipe in opposite directions from the centre- one wipes left - the second one wipes right. On the ID3 the wipers both wipe in the same direction which results in the rainwater being pushed to the driver's side especially in heavy rain
Big_GT

Post by Big_GT »

Connolly wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:49 am
Yes, they work differently. On the Born they wipe in opposite directions from the centre- one wipes left - the second one wipes right. On the ID3 the wipers both wipe in the same direction which results in the rainwater being pushed to the driver's side especially in heavy rain
The ID.3 has exactly the same wipers as the Born. ID.4 and 5 are conventional type
Moonstone Grey ID.3 Max 2023
Connolly

Post by Connolly »

Big_GT wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:36 am
Connolly wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:49 am

The ID.3 has exactly the same wipers as the Born. ID.4 and 5 are conventional type
Sorry I should have expressed this in a better fashion. I didn"t know whether the wipers were exactly the same or not - but you have confirmed that they are identical. So to clarify they are the same wipers but wipe differently as per above and as a result don't have the excess water problem as described.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

The ID3 wipers both wipe from the centre in the way you describe for the Born. The issue in heavy rain is that the passenger blade comes back down after the driver side blade so can splash the driver side of the screen until the driver blade comes back up.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

sidehaas wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:31 pm The ID3 wipers both wipe from the centre in the way you describe for the Born. The issue in heavy rain is that the passenger blade comes back down after the driver side blade so can splash the driver side of the screen until the driver blade comes back up.
Trying to follow this thread but I’m confused now. Are we actually saying that the Born wipers are different from the ID3? i.e. They are correct for a right hand drive car?
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Scratch wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:45 pm
sidehaas wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:31 pm The ID3 wipers both wipe from the centre in the way you describe for the Born. The issue in heavy rain is that the passenger blade comes back down after the driver side blade so can splash the driver side of the screen until the driver blade comes back up.
Trying to follow this thread but I’m confused now. Are we actually saying that the Born wipers are different from the ID3? i.e. They are correct for a right hand drive car?
I don't know. Never actually driven a Born. Connolly has misremembered how the ID3 wipers work so I just clarified that. The Born's are obviously similar but they could have corrected the direction. They definitely corrected the location of the light switch panel.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

sidehaas wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:50 pm
I don't know. Never actually driven a Born. Connolly has misremembered how the ID3 wipers work so I just clarified that. The Born's are obviously similar but they could have corrected the direction. They definitely corrected the location of the light switch panel.
I drove a Born about a year ago but it didn’t rain so never used the wipers on the test drive. I would be amazed if the wipers are different.
Having given the Born back and drove away in my ID3, I actually preferred the ID3.
Connolly

Post by Connolly »

Scratch wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:58 pm

I drove a Born about a year ago but it didn’t rain so never used the wipers on the test drive. I would be amazed if the wipers are different.
Having given the Born back and drove away in my ID3, I actually preferred the ID3.
My apologies. Since having the Born I haven't noticed excess water on the driver's side. I managed to convince myself that this was due to a different wiping motion. Sidehaas has very diplomatically pointed out that the ID3 has the same wipers pivot points and the same wiping action as the Born. Just for info a near neighbour has the ID4 and it has pivot points both on the drivers side with 1 long wiper and 1 short wiper ............. can I assume this is the RHS and better wiping system? Also on Born's better points..............
Lights switch located correctly on the right end,
Bigger 12" info screen,
Nicer more colourful screen which works a bit better,
Better steering wheel and steering feel,
Nicer/Bigger foot pedals,
Sports seats as standard,
Centre console properly divides driver and passenger and gives a 'cosier' feel,
Steering wheel switches work better- especially for ACC,
Better door cards aesthetics/better detailing along the length of the dashboard with nice copper accents distributed throughout,
Little or no black plastics used,
Nice copper stitching with good use of soft tactile materials
Internal furnishings as a whole come together effectively to make the cabin a particularly nice place to be,
Outside looks with high cheekbones angles and profile along with copper detailing gives the Born a very interesting look full of character,
Backside of Born looks better- also note that the Facelift ID3 looks more like the Born which is a compliment in itself.
Of course this is just my opinion based on my experience of both cars and different people will have different tastes.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Connolly wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:00 pm

My apologies. Since having the Born I haven't noticed excess water on the driver's side. I managed to convince myself that this was due to a different wiping motion. Sidehaas has very diplomatically pointed out that the ID3 has the same wipers pivot points and the same wiping action as the Born. Just for info a near neighbour has the ID4 and it has pivot points both on the drivers side with 1 long wiper and 1 short wiper ............. can I assume this is the RHS and better wiping system? Also on Born's better points..............
Bigger 12" info screen,
Better door cards aesthetics/better detailing along the length of the dashboard with nice copper accents distributed throughout,
Internal furnishings as a whole come together effectively to make the cabin a particularly nice place to be,
Outside looks with high cheekbones angles and profile along with copper detailing gives the Born a very interesting look full of character,
Backside of Born looks better- also note that the Facelift ID3 looks more like the Born which is a compliment in itself.
Of course this is just my opinion based on my experience of both cars and different people will have different tastes.
There is a lot to be said for the design of the Born, as you have pointed out, and I do like it. But, SWMBO hates the bronze bits on the bodywork. I still can’t really fathom why I preferred my ID3 at the time. Maybe I should take another look when I am ready to look at changing the car? My ID3 does drive well though.
Connolly

Post by Connolly »

Scratch wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:29 pm
Connolly wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:00 pm

Bigger 12" info screen,
There is a lot to be said for the design of the Born, as you have pointed out, and I do like it. But, SWMBO hates the bronze bits on the bodywork. I still can’t really fathom why I preferred my ID3 at the time. Maybe I should take another look when I am ready to look at changing the car? My ID3 does drive well though.
Thanks for the comments. Your other half would definitely not like my car so as it also has the 19" copper alloys!!!
Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale »

Scratch wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:29 pm

its just that wide mouth frog front end for me, also the lack of Matrix headlights. The born is a nice car from the inside, but that ugly front end just put me off way too much.
ID3 Tour, Heat pump, sports pack, moonstone grey
ordered 24/01/22
Arrived: 05/05/23
JohnEG

Post by JohnEG »

I don't understand this thread.
I've had my iD3 for about six months and never experienced any problems driving in the rain.
The sweeps on the passenger and driver side are almost identical and leave the windscreen clear apart from a very narrow strip at the extreme edges.
In fact I'd say it was superior to other cars I've owned with conventionally mounted wipers.
Life Pro Performance, White/Black, East Derry Alloys.
Order No: 31558xxx 18/11/21
Delivered 14 November 22
Zappi Charger
Software 3.2.0
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

JohnEG wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:11 am I don't understand this thread.
I've had my iD3 for about six months and never experienced any problems driving in the rain.
The sweeps on the passenger and driver side are almost identical and leave the windscreen clear apart from a very narrow strip at the extreme edges.
In fact I'd say it was superior to other cars I've owned with conventionally mounted wipers.
The wipers are definitely not designed for RH drive cars. They do leave a “streak” in front of the driver but, like you, it’s never really bothered me that much.
What does bother me, regarding any future VW purchase, is they couldn’t be bothered to design them for us lefty countries. That also goes for the joke that they call the glove box. Not sure I can get a glove in it. It’s virtually useless, and all due to the fact they couldn’t be bothered to move the fuse box, Sure, that would entail a different wiring harness but, so what. And let’s not forget the lighting controls. If they can do it on the Born, they could have done it on the ID3.
JohnEG

Post by JohnEG »

I don't get a streak in front of the driver.
Seems to me be a case of mountains and molehills!
Life Pro Performance, White/Black, East Derry Alloys.
Order No: 31558xxx 18/11/21
Delivered 14 November 22
Zappi Charger
Software 3.2.0
G4XUR

Post by G4XUR »

Absolutely agree, this could be a design safety issue? And should have been considered during initial design rather than just moving the dashboard, and, oh, and steering wheel which they got Right!!
Just noticed the second gen version hassent changed!
Handydave

Post by Handydave »

This is just a theory….

The problem is that, on RHD vehicles, the passenger side wiper sweeps up first and returns last. It’s the latter action that causes the issue.

It seems that the two wipers are not connected mechanically, but use separate motors. (Try moving one arm when the wipers are in the service position - the other doesn’t move….). The (tricky) co-ordination to avoid the two wipers crashing must be done by software.

If so, it could be possible for VW to implement a software fix for RHD vehicles so that the drivers side sweeps up first and returns last, thus solving the problem.

Will it happen? Probably not.
ID.3 Family 58kWh Pro Performance 204PS | Makena Turquoise | East Derry Alloys
Delivered: May 2023
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

G4XUR wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:33 pm Absolutely agree, this could be a design safety issue? And should have been considered during initial design rather than just moving the dashboard, and, oh, and steering wheel which they got Right!!
Just noticed the second gen version hassent changed!
Or maybe take the route Tesla have done with some of their models - don’t even make RHD versions?