ID3 Life or Business

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Narked@50

Post by Narked@50 »

i am wondering if it is worth the extra cost, to go for a Business trim or just get the Life Trim. any observations would be welcome

Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Most EVs are still quite expensive, and personally I think that £30k for a mid-sized car is more than enough. If you start adding ‘extras’ you end up spending £35k or even £40k instead. The ‘Life’ version with the 142PS motor, is about £29,200, list price; not too bad, and it has all the real essentials. If you've ever watched Electric Vehicle Man (from Yorkshire) he says the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0jsCkz_kQo

I know I seem to be in a very small minority, but if you go above the ‘Life’ version you automatically get those dark, so called, ‘security’ glass side windows, which to me detract from the look of any vehicle; but the choice is yours.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

It is a share you can't pick the components you really want rather than have to get them in a pack. I also don't want tinted glass.

I guess we chose the Business as we didn't want to have less features on our new car as our old (Toyota Auris) - reversing camera, keyless entry, ...

On my ID.3's stays with the dealer, I get an ID.3 Life Pro in exchange and I do notice the difference, so I am not unhappy to have chosen the Business Pro.

When we purchased as I wanted a heat pump, and so the deals I was offered on Life vs Business were not that different in cost.

In general the ID.3 is an expensive car, and it is a shame that VW didn't include more features which would add little to the cost to VW such as dash cams to all of them as standard. In reality the ID.3 was cost engineered for profit as EV Man points out.

When our ID.3 works properly it will be value for money for us, but if VW had not engineered in so many visits to dealer it would have also given a hefty profit margin to VW.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
Jono

Post by Jono »

Slightly off topic - My biggest frustration with the ID3 models is the limitations of the pack system of configuration. You are forced to take options that you may not want in order to get things you do want. Interestingly VW don’t take the same approach with other models.

Frustratingly, in my case, I was sold an ID3 on the premise that it had BLIS - I suffer from a bad neck and find it an invaluable addition. It turned out not to have the system and it’ turns out that it’s only available on Tech spec and above. Other manufactures include or allow these things to be fitted on lower spec models.

If the ID3 allowed the more normal puck feat you want approach, I think it would be far easier to get a car that matched our individual needs.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Jono wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:28 pm Slightly off topic - My biggest frustration with the ID3 models is the limitations of the pack system of configuration. You are forced to take options that you may not want in order to get things you do want. Interestingly VW don’t take the same approach with other models.

Frustratingly, in my case, I was sold an ID3 on the premise that it had BLIS - I suffer from a bad neck and find it an invaluable addition. It turned out not to have the system and it’ turns out that it’s only available on Tech spec and above. Other manufactures include or allow these things to be fitted on lower spec models.

If the ID3 allowed the more normal puck feat you want approach, I think it would be far easier to get a car that matched our individual needs.

BLIS?
sclrkuk

Post by sclrkuk »

VW ID.3 Life
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

The whole ‘pack’ thing I think we’ll see come to all manufacturers in the UK. It’s how cars from the same manufacturers are marketed overseas - seems the UK is one of a few countries that have got used to millions of individual options on cars over the years - for whatever reason. Packs just make better business sense.

I lived overseas for some time - bought a couple of cars that were also available in the UK. Overseas I had the choice of 3 specs/pack levels, all with the same engine (biggest in the range) - and colour - that was it. In the UK you could get the same cars with many individual options and different engines. Don’t know why that’s the history - but it just looks like the markets are unifying globally to me, to simplify production, and squeeze returns.
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

simonrg wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:42 pm It is a share you can't pick the components you really want rather than have to get them in a pack. I also don't want tinted glass.

I guess we chose the Business as we didn't want to have less features on our new car as our old (Toyota Auris) - reversing camera, keyless entry, ...

On my ID.3's stays with the dealer, I get an ID.3 Life Pro in exchange and I do notice the difference, so I am not unhappy to have chosen the Business Pro.

When we purchased as I wanted a heat pump, and so the deals I was offered on Life vs Business were not that different in cost.

In general the ID.3 is an expensive car, and it is a shame that VW didn't include more features which would add little to the cost to VW such as dash cams to all of them as standard. In reality the ID.3 was cost engineered for profit as EV Man points out.

When our ID.3 works properly it will be value for money for us, but if VW had not engineered in so many visits to dealer it would have also given a hefty profit margin to VW.
Yes, this is one of my criticisms of VW’s pre-planned route. Check out the Skoda Enyaq for instance, unfortunately not really available until 2022. They offer a basic start, from which you add the goodies you want. And that includes both the 58kW and 77kW batteries. VW only offer (at the moment at least) the 77kW battery in a very expensive package.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
ColinID3

Post by ColinID3 »

One big thing to remember about Life vs Business is the 50kW charging limit on Life. This becomes a real limitation if you are regularly doing long journeys which require more than 20kW top up to complete the journey.
Life Pro performance, Makena, 19" Andoya, Heat-pump, Nov'20 build, 23/12/20 delivery. Now with 2.1
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

ColinID3 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:41 am One big thing to remember about Life vs Business is the 50kW charging limit on Life. This becomes a real limitation if you are regularly doing long journeys which require more than 20kW top up to complete the journey.
Not according to the VW website in the UK
Jono

Post by Jono »

I think I read somewhere that the smaller battery ID3 (45KW) charged at the lower rate, but I may have dreamt it.
ColinID3

Post by ColinID3 »

My Life Pro only charges at 50kW!!, the salesman told me that would be the case when I bought it - he was right, it definitely reduces viability of very long journeys (assuming you can find working 100kW chargers of course!)
Life Pro performance, Makena, 19" Andoya, Heat-pump, Nov'20 build, 23/12/20 delivery. Now with 2.1
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

ColinID3 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:55 pm My Life Pro only charges at 50kW!!, the salesman told me that would be the case when I bought it - he was right, it definitely reduces viability of very long journeys (assuming you can find working 100kW chargers of course!)
Seems to be a lot of conflicting info, between the website and what dealsers are saying:

100kW.png

From the UK website this morning ...
ColinID3

Post by ColinID3 »

Interesting (and frustrating); they must have changed it with the introduction of the low power motor. (mine is 201ps)
I wonder if it is just a software configuration or if there is a hardware change. Would be good to upgrade if possible.